Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Highlighted
New Contributor Shyrat
New Contributor

Frequent Drop outs - Cable

So I moved house 3 months ago, to an address 5 minutes up the road from my previous cable equipped house.

I have had nothing but problems since the Cable was connected here. It is a brand new connection and they changed my modem from the Cisco DPQ3925 to the Netgear CG3000v2.

I have frequent internet drop outs, the WiFi remains connected but the internet drops out and will take a few minutes before it reconnects. It will drop out even while connected via the ethernet cable. I have rang technical support and took a morning off work so that a tech could come and inspect. He said there was no problems on the line and that there was a problem with the modem I received. So I got a new modem, he even left the old one here, so now I have to of these amazing Netgear modems.

The same problems occur after he left with the new modem. I have called technical support but they are just absolutely rubbish. They have no solutions or even acknowledge that there is a problem. The only options are the usual 'Turn it off and on' and that they will reset the connection from their end, promising that it will fix the issues. The other option is to send out another technition which would mean taking more time off work. I don't want to do this just to have him tell me that there is nothing wrong with the lines and to give me another exact same modem. I want to talk to an advanced tech support or someone who actually seems to have more options than just turning something of and on again.

In the meanwhile, my mobile phone bills with Optus have doubled due not being able to use the WiFi at home and I'm still paying $90 per month for a horrible service.

30 Replies
Occasional Contributor Husk
Occasional Contributor

Re: Frequent Drop outs - Cable

I've had this problem before, disconnecting every few minutes. It took a couple of calls before they decided to stop blaming random things and send out a technician. He did some kind of power tests on the connection sockets. It turns out my poblem was some faulty (f-connector??) on the powerlines (the internet part of it anyway). After the technician replaced it I never disconnected once and my speeds were at full again.

RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

@Shyrat - Apologies for the delayed response, I can see you posted this quite some time ago. Have you been able to gain assistance since posting? If so, would you be able to send through your account details, full name and DOB via a private message so we could look into this? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor tanto
New Contributor

I am also having serious problems with my internet as follows:

1) Very slow internet (I am paying $90 for 30mbps and getting 2-6mpbs at night time)

2) wifi keeps droping out

I have tried resetting the modem but no change. I have contacted optus and they said that the Kogarah exchange is being upgraded. That was about 3 months ago. I contacted them again last week and they said they were going to get back to me. I am still waiting. This a matter I will take up with the Telecommuncations Ombudsman. I dont see why I should be paying for a service I am not receiving. 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @tanto, do you have a Tech Support case ref# you can provide so we can have a look for you? 

0 Kudos
New Contributor TOFFA
New Contributor

I have noticed over the last 2+ months my internet is out everyday when i arrive home .  

The horrible part is i auto forward all business emails from my optus mail to my mobile but of course this requires one simple thing a constant connection, so i am not recieving them during the day as once the connection drops it has to be power cycled or even turned off unplug/ plug back in  and power back on again...

I would assume for just under $100 dollars a month optus would be capable of this, and assume  even almost guarantee it .

Last night  i had to reset the modem on arrival home as usual then while trying to watch netflix it dropped 3 times, sub standard ?!? 

This is clearly sub standard and perhaps its the netgear cg3000v2 that is the issue,

Surely the cable isnt being disconnected at the exchange this fequently.

Is this happening to all other cg3000 users i wonder .. 

I hope i recieve a replacement modem , if not i will be recording the total loss of connection time and asking for refunds as the exact same cable on the old surfboard modem rarely dropped and was extremely reliable .

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @TOFFA, please lodge this with Tech Support on 131344 or via Live Chat → http://yesopt.us/chat2us . They will have visibility on any dropouts and can arrange a replacement modem for you if the hardware is identified as the issue.

As for your emails, you should not need a connected home internet service in order to forward emails to another email client. Emails are stored on the servers so you should be setting up the email client on your mobile to download the Optusnet emails directly. You can also access Optusnet emails from anywhere online via webmail. this won;t require your modem at home to be connected in order to retrieve them. Let me know if you need a hand setting this up.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Shyrat
New Contributor

So I finally got my issue fixed. With some help from some mods on here who could actually identify that there was a definite problem. I had another technician come out and check out my connection. He immediately looked into the problem using SCAMPS and said that he could see a problem with the connection that has been occurring ever since this connection was setup and that it should have been detected by the installer who actually installed the service at the beginning. The problem was the actual cable that was connected to the property, he believes that the cable was about 15 years old. The cable was replaced and I have my connection hasn't disconnected since it was changed. I will be contacting Optus to be reimbursed for the last 4 months of having a faulty internet connection and having to pay for it even after multiple phone calls and two technicians and two brand new modems (one of which is sitting in a drawer, obviously nothing wrong with it at all). If I don't receive reimbursement then I shall be contacting my ombudsman regarding the issue. If you are having a similar issue with your connection, don't let them fob you off, keep persisting until they actually investigate the issue and fix it for you. $90 every month is a hell of a lot of money to be paying for a terrible service!
New Contributor 78DUSTIN78
New Contributor

I am having the same problem with my cable internet for  past 6 months or so. Wasting at least 30mins every single time with techinical support and having no solutions besides.. you need to book a technician to come out.

I have had approx 5 technicians come out to try and fix my internet drop outs. And every single time i get the same bs from optus and their technician. Always blaming it on the sockets, cables, modems and etc.. i have had nothing but lost connection. Its been 4 days now since my internet has not worked. Called them today and spent 45mins on the phone again! And yes.. we have to book a technician. Optus has promised me every single time that my internet will be fixed. But again.. broken promises! Tomorrow another technician will be coming out and if this does not fix the problem. I will seeking help from the ombudsman.

New Contributor Jess1511
New Contributor

So I moved into Chirnside Park (the older area) in January and had Optus Cable installed. Haven't really had an issue, except for the last month of so. I work from home and I use a program called 8x8 Virtual Office to make my calls. It seems that this program is no longer working due to packet loss and latency. Cable internet should be providing fibre speeds of at least 30mb per second download, 10 mb/s upload and apparently, my work programs are no longer working because of high latency and packet loss. I've inserted two PingPlotter screenshots as requested by the support team from the other program in the hopes that you can fix my Optus Connection.

Tried to call the Technical Support team and just got routed through a whole heap of automated menus to the point where it got stuck in a recurring loop of a message that was not relevant to me. Not great at all!

If someone can please help, that would be great. It's really affecting my work on a daily basis now.

JessScreen Shot 2017-08-17 at 12.48.37 pm.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-17 at 12.49.08 pm.png

0 Kudos