cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Fraud calls to fixed line

We get two or three calls per day from overseas and wanting to "fix" our "telstra" internet connection. Abusing them does not work. So why doesn't Optus put a trace on these calls and get Julie Bishop to object at the highest level?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fraud calls to fixed line

Hi,

My name is Jelena Kaja (from Estonia). I am super worried about your computer.

I ring Mr Julie Bishop and I have fixed her computer super good. 

It is not illegal for me to fix your computers in my country. Estonia is a proud and free nation.

All my friends fix computers. Next time I call, I give you super good deal.

Seriously though, consider not answering calls from Unknown Numbers or obviously from overseas. If you don't have Caller ID perhaps get a phone that does or a little device that adds it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

It's not a solution. Most people have simply chucked their landlines to get away from it. They will move to mobile phones next.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Right. So we just accept that the current technology is not fraud free and our highly paid Foreign Minister cannot use the meta data service to find out what the hell is going on - Maybe TDM will do a better job?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

My computer does not need FIXING by you or antone else.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

My computer does not need FIXING by you or anyone else - especilly my Apple Ipad which seems to put them into  complete spin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

If it makes you feel any better, you could get the calls forwarded to your mobile phone, and run the slightly illegal voice recorder by Green Apple. Try to seduce as many of the operators as you can, by offers of money and migration. Edit the lot togther and put it on youtube.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Bob,

Apologies for haveing a bit of fun at your expense. I'm not sure what TDM is but nuisance phone calls are our problem to handle. They originate in countries that we have zero legal jurisdiction. If you want to reduce the issue then either don't answer or just hang up when called.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, "but nuisance phone calls are our problem to handle" At last, someone takes responsibity for a substandard service which we are paying for on a regular basis. So how is Optus getting on with their problem? My calls are comming from the same call centre which sounds like Indian? No jurisdiction problem there. Can you confirm where they are coming from? How does the metadata info work? Could you trace these guys if they were terrorists - in my book they are. All international calls come in with no id - so you have to answer them anyway. If you hang up you have already muted the TV and the call has disrupted your leisure time. A Really bad problem!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its not an Optus problem though. Complaining about nuisance calls is a bit like complaining about Toyota because your neighbour beeps his horn at midnight and what are Toyota going to do about it? 

Aside from the stupendous cost in trying to find a call centre in a foreign country (although your clue that they had an Indian accent will no doubt make thinks faster 🐵 there's the matter that there is no legal recourse because Austalian laws don't extend to other countries. Julie Bishop isn't about to start extraditing Indian Nationals over a nuisance call. 

FWIW as I mentioned if the phone number ID is blocked or foreign then just don't answer. Its almost never a call you want anyway.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors