cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor bilgolabill
New Contributor

Fixed line phone does not ring

Optus supplied modem installed yesterday. Internet speed up from 7 mbps to 10 mbps??? (big deal) and the fixed line phone will not ring when someone calls? I am able to phone out. Optus tells me wait 48 hours? Why? They don't know. NBN tells me to phone Optus. Lessons in how to waste 2 hours getting nowhere.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

Re: Fixed line phone does not ring

Yikes! Sounds frustrating indeed bilgolabill Smiley Sad May I ask how it's all working today?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thanks for asking Esther. It's still not working but it hasn't been 48 hours yet. I did ring my local phone technican who said "don't buy a new phone, it's not the phone's fault". He explained that here on the Northern Beaches of Sydney the NBN is not really working at its best. Optus needs to get onto this stuff quickly. Optus told me I needn't be home for the "appointment" as technicians did not need access to the house. 2 guys came in. Took photos of the little phone box under the house, tested the line and said that all is OK. These guys really did not seem to understand what the hell they were doing. I have a fibre to the node, then copper wire to the house type connection. I asked about filters and splitters and the Optus guys just shook their heads. I think that perhaps their understanding of english was pretty minimal. So I wait for the 48 hours to expire and then get back the "team members" I suppose. Trusting of course that I wont be charged for the down time - so far 3 days.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

Thanks for the update and the valuable feedback. We'll be able use this for coaching where it's needed. Please keep us posted how you get 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Hello there Esther. Received a text this morning announcing that my connection was now complete and voice service available. I tested the system and HOORAY! it all works really well. So thanks for any nudging you may have done. All good now.

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

That's great, thanks for letting us know!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor mash90
Occasional Contributor

Similar issue. New modem - supposedly faster/better wifi.  NBN FTTP.  Internet connectivity is good, but fixed phone which used to work, doesn't any more.  Spent 2 hours on the phone with tech support.  Wasted.  Have been told it's been escalated, and a case-manager will get back to me in 24 hours.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Top Contributors