Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
New Contributor Withy
New Contributor

Fetch tv with vivid wireless

Can you use an Optus fetch box with vivid wireless home broadband?

Have a fetch box on my Optus broadband plan but will be away from home for 5 months and would l like to be able to take the box with me. Where I will be staying vivid wireless is available.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fetch tv with vivid wireless

Not sure if Optus will transfer your current plan into a vivid one. Suggest you call / live chat and ask. Tell them you are moving house not visiting temporarily. Technically fetch should work at 6-12 Mbps but it is pushing things.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Withy
New Contributor

Thankyou Peter.

I won't cancelling my broadband to my house as some of my family will be there during the period I am away.  What I am concerned about as the fetch box is locked to the Optus network will the fetch box work with vivid wireless.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Very ikely not. Vivid and Optus have a direct relationship which might change the equation (but I'm thinking no).  FWIW being wireless, vivid is not really looking to encourage TV streaming (Optus cable is struggling with it IMO). 

You can buy a Fetch outright (not compatible with Optus Fetch for sharing content when you get back though). You could grab a Fetch mini for $170 which gives you the online functionality without the FTA recording.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Withy
New Contributor

Thanks again Peter.

As I understand it Optus own vivid wireless and promote it as an alternative but on the vivid website no mention is made of fetch tv. So I think you are quite likely right they don't want to promote fetch tv on wireless broadband. Perhaps a moderator will pick up on this and confirm.

As to a fetch mini I don't think it offers what I require as you are unable to record programs.

I will most likely still use vivid wireless as it will still allow me to stream from the catch up tv apps using Chromecast and compared to Telstra is value for money. Thinking about the soccer World cup coming up in June using the Optus sport app.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

A $40 mobile phone plan gets you the EPL?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Withy, the following has been taken out of our FAQ's for Fetch eligibility/compatibility.

YES TV BY FETCH: AVAILABILITY & PURCHASE

What do I need to connect Yes TV by Fetch?

• An Optus Home Broadband service (Cable, DSL Direct, DSL or NBN) or an Optus Postpaid Mobile Phone service
  • A Cable, NBN or DSL modem / router with a spare Ethernet port if using a Powerline adaptor
  • A minimum Home Broadband speed of at least 3 Mbps
  • An existing, roof-mounted, Free-To-Air TV antenna (needed for free to air channels)
  • A widescreen television

I believe the reason that it's limited to the above the products is due to mobile Network capacity. Simply put both Home Wireless and Vivid wireless are available in areas where we offer access to the 2300 MHz spectrum. In order to offer a consistent experience, measures are put in place to ensure there's enough bandwidth to service our customers. You're probably familiar with the term, “The Netflix effect."

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos