Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
johnbardell
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Fetch and Wireless Issues

Hi all

On I migrated to the NBN on 27/3 from the Optus HCF network.  I had been on the HCF network since its rollout many years ago and was very satisfied with it.

Since migrating to the NBN I had and am  continuing to have on-going issue which Optus can't seem to resolve.  We are continuing to get continuous internet dropouts on our Fetch box despite a factory reset.  The Fetch box is connected to the NBN modem via an ether net cable.  When the Fetch box drops the internet I have measured my connection speed to the NBN at 45-47mbps. and have then connected my laptop to  the port that the Fetch box was using and the laptop performs well without dropouts. Obviously the line is ok. 

I have removed it from my network until Optus either fixes it or replaces it. At this stage the box is not fit for service. 

I also have continuing and ongoing  wi-fi issues.  The wi-fi is unstable and will not hold a connection to devices in the same room less than 3 metres away.  This is despite a factory reset on the modem and a change, at Optus' request, of wi-fi channels. This also has been reported many times to Optus and remains unresolved. 

I am convinced that Optus is in breach of consumer legislation which states that goods and service provided must be fit for service which the NBN, the modem and the Fetch box either individually or in combination are not. That aside, how can I get Optus to appoint a case manager who will contact me personally and drive the an end to end resolution of these issue. I'm getting nowhere through chats or support calls.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

John

5 Replies
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Fetch and Wireless Issues

John, it sounds more like your Fetch TV is faulty, however it's hard to say because "drop outs" are used so universally it gets difficult.

If you are wanting to lodge a complaint, your best bet is to fill out the form at www.optus.com.au/complaints and they will appoint a case manager to your complaint. However, I strongly recommend you start the process by calling 133 937 to speak to NBN Support to get your modem replaced.

Sadly the S@GEM is not an entirely full strength device and struggles in bigger homes or those who have lots of devices that are heavily using the connection.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
johnbardell
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response - greatly appreciated.  Sounds like a plan for tomorrow.  I'll got throught it all again with them and ask for a replacement modem and fetch box.

cheers

John

0 Kudos
MardyC
New Contributor
New Contributor

I joined optus in November 2018.  We have since joining had nothing but day after day of drop outs and disconnects.   The wifi is so unstable it is almost impossible to run my business and most of the time I end up hotspotting off my vodafone mobile account to enable me to function.  Is anyone having the same issues?    I have called optus so many times i've lost count, we have had NBN technicians out and its been fixed for a few days and then back to issues.   I am at my witts end.  Despite all this poor service Optus happily keep sending us monthly bills.  Where to from here?

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @MardyC, I would suggest following the advice posted above by @ Jeneral__Pain

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
johnbardell
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Have spoken with Fetch support.  They are replacing the box. Fingers crossed!!

Hopefully only the wi-fi to go.

As a  contingency am now evaluating replacements for the modem.  Real shame the Optus doesn't provide gear that's fit for purpose.

Thanks all

John

0 Kudos