Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mkrtich
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: FTTP - Fritzbox Router with Sagemcomm Router and VOIP home phone

Just some follow up foot notes left out yesterday and observations from the final configuration. Everything still working OK after 24 hours. Since the start of experiment from yesterday morning till now, there have been five changes to the external IP address with the last change being a renewal. This did not impact test calls made throughout the last 24 hours from mobile phone to home and CLID has worked well for all calls. Reasonably confident it would continue subject to unforeseen interruptions. 

Comments:

1. Fritz!Box WAN was configured for Cable Modem connection.

2. When the Telstra modem was connected directly to NBN HFC modem - messages to SIP Registrar used IPV6 addresses. Connections made through Fritz!Box show the Telstra SIP Registrar messages using the assigned IPV4 address which is expected as it is using a static IPV4 address as its WAN. The Fritz!Box log also shows its external WAN IPV6 connection and Prefix being assigned, updated and then cleared (with prefix no longer valid comment) which was interesting as I did not configure the Fritz!Box for IPV6.   

3. I activated "Permit independent port sharing for this device" - fixed IP address for Telstra modem. I think that may be a UPnP setting for any devices or Apps connected to the Telstra modem. Incoming and outgoing calls worked with it OFF and ON yesterday, so I left in ON in case the Apple TV and other devices connected to the Telstra modem needed it. 

4. Prior to the Port Forward 5060 implementation, around noon yesterday there is an unexpected log entry in the Telstra modem  which shows the IPV4 static lease for the Telstra modem from the Fritz!Box (192.168.188.23) being set for 864,000 seconds = 10 days. Haven't seen that lease time period before in any previous Log entries. 

All seems fine. 

Shwongy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for going to such lengths to help figure this out but I've just about given up on this, I believe I have everything set up how you've explained but just with an Optus router and I just couldn't get it working.

Although, did you set the LAN IP of your Telstra Modem to a different subnet?
I had set it to the same subnet as the fritzbox

The only thing I can't be sure of is the fritzbox specific settings as I can't remember what they were called off the top of my head but I had follow that weblink provide by @YetAnotherAcc with option #2

I had checked the port forwarding after making those changes and I had green lights on them.

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Yes, two different subnets, so Double NAT but that didn't present any issues for me as I am not  a sophisticated high end user and acknowledge that it may be an issue for others.

Arris HFC Modem --- WAN (on LAN1 after config)  Fritz!Box [192.168.188.1] LAN2 ----- WAN Telstra Modem [192.168.0.1]. That way I didn't need to change any IP address settings in each unit and dismantled after test. I have left all settings in the Fritz!Box per the test configuration with Port Forward entries but it has been returned to its storage box. 

Previously when I had the Fritz!Box as a secondary router, I had to configure its LAN port 1 to a WAN port - selection was 'working through another network', it auto changed itself from default 192.168.178.1 to 192.168.188.1, so I had assumed it reserved its default address for standard DSL operations only. Maybe the Port Forward 5060 only works in two subnets as the Fritz!Box may reserve port 5060 for its own VoIP when there is only one network. 

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Its a shame you couldn't get it to work @Shwongy .

Thanks for digging into it @Mkrtich , at least we know it works with Telstra.

DavidHarvey
Contributor
Contributor

I assume you can get your Fritz!Box 7490 to connect to the internet through the NBN with its RJ45 cable into LAN1 and its network is the factory 192.168.178.0/24. If this is so the please do the following.

1. Turn off and disconnect the Fritz!Box from the NBN
  2. Do factory reset on the F@ST5366 and then connect the WAN of the F@ST5366 to the NBN.
  3. Use a wired connection to check internet and connect your phone to to Phone 1 and check that you can make outgoing calls and receive incoming calls.
  4. Turn off the wireless and then turn off and disconnect the F@ST5366 from the NBN.
  5. Reconnect the Fritz!Box and check that you internet is working once the NBN connects.
  6. Now connect a Fritz!Box LAN (2, 3 or 4) port to the WAN of the F@ST5366.
  7. With you phone still connected to the Phone 1 line Phone light will show when connected.
  8. You now should be able to make outgoing calls only and if so please we can then configure the port forwarding of 5060 and Address Reservation to ensure the F@ST5366 receives the incoming calls.
Jack_YC

Great advice @DavidHarvey. I recommend giving those steps a go @Shwongy and seeing if that helps. 

You can also always reach our technical teams via the My Optus App if you have any questions. However as the Fritz!Box is not a product we offer, we're unable to guarantee the products performance. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Mkrtich
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi everyone - just a typo correction - realised this morning my Fritz!Box is on Firmware Version 07.21 which was released on 17 September 2020 and not the previous version 07.12 which I had incorrectly referenced in my post. Whirlpool.net.au has an interesting discussion group on AVM modems  - seems that AVM release weekly Lab Beta versions which currently have a prefix 07.24-xxxxx code ID, so maybe a new General Release is pending soon. The only mention of a Telephony enhancement I picked up in the Beta versions was for Encryption setting which is available for three German carriers. 

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/9mj7pq83?p=9