cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Jane41
New Contributor

F@ST3864V3HP - SSID x 2 broadcasting issues

Hi there, Optus installed a new modem/router this morning and I have 2 SSID's being broadcast. I amended one to our personal SSID and password using the online Sagemcom log-in online.

Now it appears that half our devices are split across the two SSID's.

I tried to hide the default SSID so we all just connect to our personal one being broadxast but when I do this all the devices on the personal one then don't work.

What am I doing wrong? Why do I now have 2 SSID's? One was called 'Optus_xxxxxx' (which I amended to a personal SSID) and the other is called 'Optus_xxxxxx_5GHz'. 

I find this new online menu much harder to navigate then the old one. 

Also I don't seem to be able to add in all our device MAC addresses for added security using the menu now either.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: F@ST3864V3HP - SSID x 2 broadcasting issues

The Optus, Sagemcom modem-router is wireless AC. It broadcasts two WiFi SSIDs - one is Optus_x and the other is Optus_x_5GHz: the first is on the 2.4 GHz WiFi band and the second is on the 5 GHz band. Your WiFi clients will connect to one or the other, depending on whether or not they are AC-compatible.

You can change the SSIDs from the login, as you have apparently done for at least one of them. Simple practice is to call the 2.4 GHz SSID 'fred2', for example, and the 5 GHz SSID 'fred5' - do NOT give both the same SSID (they can have the same passphrase).

Don't bother or worry about adding MAC addresses for additional security - all you need to do is have a strong WiFi passphrase of at least eight characters.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Not sure if things have changed with your Modem's firmware version, but earlier version Sagemcoms usually came with one SSID as default - OPTUS_XXXXXX with its assigned default password printed on the label. Changeable to  show two SSIDs by the user through the Advanced Setup Menu - User ID 'optus'and password - same as 'assigned default SSID Wi-Fi default password on label'.

The default SSID also operates under a common connection name OPTUS_XXXXXX, covering both the 2.4Ghz and 5.0 Ghz Wi-Fi networks allowing each of your respective devices to connect to their preferred frequency. This feature is programmed in the 5Ghz radio setting (w0) with the two boxes ticked in Beamforming (at end of very long page) but has, in the past, caused some 2.4 Ghz devices not to connect - TVs, older Smart Phones, Tablets and Smart Home gizmos. The recommended fix to that problem was to Disable the two Beamforming boxes, which then provided two SSIDs for your respective device to connect to. You appear to have the 'fix' configuration in place or it may be that Optus is now shipping modems with Beamforming disabled.

If all is stable with two SSIDs and you wish to maintain status quo, but can't link your 2.4 Ghz devices to the OPTUS_XXXXXX (now your personal renamed SSID) radio, you need to change the connections within your 2.4Ghz devices ( 802.11 b/g/n) by Disconnecting from old modem settings in the device and Reconnecting to new SSID, since you have renamed the default SSID to your personal SSID and its associated password (if you also changed that). Then, with your newer generation 5Ghz devices (802.11ac), if they don't connect, the same Disconnect or Forget the Network previously established to your old modem and Reconnect to the OPTUS_XXXXXX_5Ghz radio and its password. Sometimes when this doesn't work, it helps to restart the Modem and/or the device to make sure fresh connections are established. 

If you wish to revert back to a common SSID (activate the two Beamforming boxes) and alter any relevant settings in the modem via the Advanced Setup link, you would generally use the default User ID 'optus' and the same password that is current for your SSID. Should you have any connection issues with 2.4 Ghz devices after that, the paragraph 2 fix applies.

I think the MAC settings you are referring to may be in the Adanced Setup/LAN/ - [MAC Address][IP Address][Remove] and [Add ][Remove] section at bottom of the LAN page. Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@newline  - my apology for appearing to unnecessarily add to your comments. I was compiling my reply yesterday in the evening, half way through the posting, got flickering screen interruptions and eventually was presented with a pink banner error at the top of the screen indicating Optus were doing an update to the website and to come back later on. I logged in a few hours later and then pasted in my reply to the original half completed window. I only noticed you had posted your reply earlier on in the evening when I logged in this morning. Had I seen your reply, I would not have posted. Cheers.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Mkrtich  No worries.

For those who may be unsure about my, above claims regarding MAC addresses https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/ and passphrase characters https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-long-does-a-wpa-key-need-to-be/.

New Contributor Jane41
New Contributor

I reset back to the original settings and SSID's, now wifi not working at all. Another technician coming tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice on not bothering to add MAC addresses for extra home security. I started doing this a few years back when we were hacked? and my Optus bill came in at $1100 from someone downloading at 2am... Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors