Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Tarrawal
New Contributor

Extremely slow internet

Been running on 0.77 mbs all day in coorparoo Brisbane. One Optus support staff said it was a line issue another one said it was a modem. Who can tell me what it is 🙂 lol pretty useless really. Can’t even power amazon echo lol

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Extremely slow internet

Is this adsl, cable or nbn? There is work going on that might be affecting speeds.

coorparoo-outage.jpg

New Contributor Tarrawal
New Contributor

Hi there 

It is ADSL what an underwhellming experiece it is.  Ok you now in form me that there was maintenance, after i was told it was a line issue then was told it was a faulty modem.  I was running on 0.77MBPS which after the maintenance ( if it happened ) has been reduced to ZERO MPBS.  No one has contacted me to let me know if a technician has actully checked the fault. The modem takes a week to get here ( i can order stuff on amazon with next day delivery),Which of thises facts is true??? Line fault / Modem issue or Maintenance??

Honestly apart from my relocation here in march which Optus made as painfull as possible this has been a total JOKE. All i want is this to be fixed the Internet has been that bad I can not even operate a Amazon Echo !!!! 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

In light of the fact that you are using adsl the cable maintenance advisory may have nothing to do with your speeds. Poor quality lines and distance from the exchange are the normal culprits that reduced adsl speeds. It normally takes a week or so to provision the line and send out a modem. Was there no options for NBN or wireless at you location?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Tarrawal
New Contributor

Hi 

There were no NBN options well so Optus told me even though there is and NBN junction box on the Balcony. Why does it take a week? At the very least.  As soon a this is sorted i will be bidding farewell to OPTUS for ever never to return.  Communication ZERO, and the so called customer service centre is a complete joke.  If i can order something online and get it here the next day why does OPTUS take 5 to 6 days. Why do I have to be at home when the modem is delivered friday ( i will be working ) So that means it wont be fixed until next week at the earliest.  What provision of the line is there to do ?  The line is owned by TELSTRA not OPTUS.  I thought TELSTRA was the worst company in Australia but trust me its a photo finish with OPTUS.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Apologies, I thought you were talking about the initial setup of your adsl. I don’t know why a replacement modem would take 5 to 6 days to send out. Their policy on having to sign for everything might have something to do with you having to be home. I’m not sure a new modem is going to help you if they have identified a line issue. I think I would be asking support for clarification on the line issue before they waste more of your time.

New Contributor Tarrawal
New Contributor

Thanks Yeldarb

I have found a better service provider will be going with MATE.  Thanks so much for taking the time to message me ! 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

All good mate but I would check your distance from the exchange by putting your phone number into the top left side of the website on the link below. It also should give you a speed estimate. You may have the same problem with another provider unless you can get something other than adsl.

https://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/

Top Contributors