cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor moeydc
New Contributor

Extremely slow ADSL2 Burleigh waters QLD

Hi Guys

I have recently moved house and gone from NBN back to ADSL2. I expected a slow down in speeds but not as much as we have experienced. 
My average download speed is 0.80mbps and the upload speed is 0.01. and 80% of the time it just doesnt work at all. 
I have contacted Optus directly a number of times and they always say that they have adjusted my 'speed profile' but it doesnt seem to change anything on my end. 

I have also tried every phone port in the house but only one seems to have a connection (rental property). 
We have a couple of months until the NBN will be available but i am wondering if there are any suggestions apart from pausing the service until the NBN comes to us? 

Many thanks in advance Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Extremely slow ADSL2 Burleigh waters QLD

Its a 4G postcode. Any chance you could switch to a mobile broadband plan in the interim?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor moeydc
New Contributor

Thanks Peter 
I have tried this with Optus a few times given that the current offereing simply doesnt work but they will only switch if i pay an additional $200 signup fee. 
it would definetely be a great solution but i cant help but feel i am being ripped off

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'd normally suggest a bunch of options given the service isn't working but I think Optus are probably not being unreasonable with your very specific circumstances. FWIW Technically they don't need to provide you with anything if you rellocate (the contract is to the original property) but generally Optus will find a new option, and where they can't they let the contract end without penalty.

Your difficulty is you only need a replacement for a 3-6 months (when the NBN arrives). If you were happy to sign up on a 24 month contract there would be no sign up fee. The $190 fee is actually there to cover the cost of the modem (and you have to use the modem Optus supply).

Alternatively you can go the 24 month plan and there's no cancellation fees. You can cancel any time. You do still need to pay out the modem but that is prorated down over the 24 month period (So after 6 months to cancel would cost 18/24 * $192 = $144 payout. The big advantage here is you seem likely to find the 200Gb ($60) mobile plan fine for your needs. Switching to the NBN might not be a huge necessity if the 4G works well for you. If you luck out and it doesn't (or you really want the NBN) then you can just pay the $0-$144 and move on. But no upfront fees, just $60 a month and it should be a lot (lot) better.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Didn't realise the NBN might be so close. As a final option you could just get an Optus Prepaid mobile stick. It goes in the back of your PC. Current Optus deal is $60 for 35Gb. Lasts 90 days before needing a recharge. FWIW I have a spare optus modem stick so if you want to go this route PM me your address and I'll post it out as a loan.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors