cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Contributor terrywang
Contributor

Extremely Slow speed 2Mbps~7Mbps on Cable (supposed to be 100Mbps)

I've noticed since last week, cable speed is extremely slow during peak hours (7pm onwards until 11pm), speedtest.net / ozspeedtest test results range from 2Mbps to 8Mpbs. Even Fetch TV complains about the low bandwidth and streaming crappy resolution.

Post code: 2122 NSW

NOTE: after 11pm speed seems to go up to around 20~25Mbps.

However, during daytime the speed seems to be OK (>90Mbps).

Optus customer service, please tell me what is happening with Optus Cable? Are you aware the problem? What is your plan of action to fix the issue?

0 Kudos
118 Replies
RetiredModerator Dave
RetiredModerator

Re: Extremely Slow speed 2Mbps~7Mbps on Cable (supposed to be 100Mbps)

Hi Terry,

Sounds like speeds may be fluctuating during peak hours due to the amount of users online at that time.

It's best to have a chat with our faults team directly so they can complete a few tests specific to your service to get a better idea of exactly what's causing this.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor terrywang
Contributor

Called support and was told that I should be expecting 60Mbps at least even during peak.

They asked me to call back when issue happens, but I can never reach anyone (human) within 30 mins, losing patience so I lodged a complaint and hopefully someone will get back to me.

To me this is obviously congestion during peak hours. Optus should identify the bottleneck and upgrade network if required. Optus has acquired large number of new cable customers, which is good, however, if you keep providing degraded cable to us, I'll switch to other provides once the contrace ends.

Now

10:40pm

ping latency is 40~50ms

speedtest.net to Telstra and Optus servers, download is 10Mbps

The computer is connected to the cable modem via CAT-6 cable, NOT Wi-Fi.

RetiredModerator Dave
RetiredModerator

The tech guys should be able to look up your username and check if congestion is an issue even if it's not at the specific time that it's occuring.

Did they confirm this for you at all?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor terrywang
Contributor

I lodged a complaint via email, got a call back the next day.

The female technician did not really understand the issue, just asked me to poweroff the cable modem and reset it on the server side said hopefully it was going to fix the issue. Of course it would at that point of time, as it is off peak, 3pm.

The issue perisists when it came to 7pm, Fetch TV streaming hangs and bandwidth is as poor as 5Mbps.

So Optus, tell me how you are going to fix this issue? It is either your main network issue or congestion (every support rep told me there was no congestion in my area).

I am relly pissed off by the service quality and support provided. I don't think I am going to stay with Optus once the 2 year contract expires to be honest.

RetiredModerator Pete
RetiredModerator

Hmm, we'll be able to check into this further for you terrywang. I've just sent you a PM.

Contributor terrywang
Contributor

I called Optus again yesterday due to the pathetic speed I am getting. In fact it's getting even worth, slower than my previous TPG ADSL2+.

To my surprise, this time the support representative said there was congestion in my area and asked for me mobile number so as to receive notifications on exchange upgrade.

I have no idea how soon the upgrade is going to happen but at least Optus admitted that there is congestion (I've already proved it when initially posting).

Is there a way to track congestion report or exchange upgrade info?

The speed is unacceptable for people like me who works from home on a regular basis.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Dave
RetiredModerator

Hi Terry,

We currently don't have a way to track planned upgrades for these types of services.

When upgrades are occurring though, you can see info here.

0 Kudos
Contributor terrywang
Contributor

Just submitted another enquiry form.

Since mid May, most time of the day I am getting 5Mbps ~ 25Mbps or similar, next exceeds 60Mbps. From 7pm onwards the speed is pathetic.

This started to impact my work from home arrangement, really disappointed.

RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Thanks terrywang

I can see we've received your online enquiry and will be in touch at our first available opportunity to discuss this further.

Top Contributors