Searching...
Highlighted

Re: Extremely Slow speed 2Mbps~7Mbps on Cable (supposed to be 100Mbps)

terrywang

Update

Someone from Melbourne called me last week explaining the situation, it was of course congestion!

The guy mentioned there would be a network infrastructure upgrade in my area at the end of May (so very soon). And ask me to wait until around 10 June. See if the speed improves, if NOT contact Optus again.

I understand that the customer service guys/gals can't do / say too much.

The problem is how Optus is going to keep the customers who experience slow service. We are paying for 100Mbps/2Mbps but we are getting less than 20%, why should we still pay for the ful amount? Shouldn't we just pay for what we get?

I wish Optus can figure out a way to compensate its customers. Otherwise whoever has been through this will be soon-to-be-ex customers, seriously.

dmflorey

I too have been experiencing slow broadband...

End of March I moved from Mulgrave to Springvale. The entire 3+ years at Mulgrave on the 20m/0.5m service - always been consistent with speeds.

When I moved to Springvale, I noticed that the speed was constantly around 16m/0.3m. I added the speed pack which should be able to deliver around 100m/2m max. Well I have seen near these speeds a few times, but mostly I only receive around 10m-30m / 0.5m - 1m.

For the last almost two weeks, I have only been getting a constant 3m/0.4m - seriously no faster what so ever. I too work from home a lot and have kids that need to do homework, research, etc and we cannot all be on the internet at the same time.

I have rebooted all my hardware and performed all trouble shooting steps as per the trouble shooting guide, and have seen no improvement what so ever.

I have called Tech Support and they told me to reboot modem and call them back - they wouldn't even try anything else or stay on the line - which is most unusual.

I cannot continue to work from home on this "slower than 3G" connection, so have been racking up a huge mobile data bill on my Vodafone mobile - which I am certain that Optus would love to compensate me for (not).

I have tried to contact support again (again, racking up the mobile bill) and waited for over 50mins at a time before either giving up or being disconnected before speaking to someone - truely not happy.

I'm not in contract, but where I live - have little choice as the lines here cannot reach ADSL.

I NEED A RESOLUTION ASAP - have far too much work overdue!

Please reset my ports or something - I need this fixed and telling me to reboot my modem and clear my cookies? Please, come up with a better line...

Crustypete

You are not alone. The slowing speeds are systemic and Australia wide and coincide with the launch of Netflix and the Optus advertising push. Optus has done nothing to resolve my issues (Morningside) and the "helpdesk" guys are as useless as an ash tray on a motorbike. The moderators on this site have not responded. After lodging a complaint with the Telecommunications Ombudsman I finally got a text advising someone will contact me in 10 days. That period is the maximum stipulated by the regulator. I do not expect them to contact me so I will be after the regulator to give them a rev. After I get this sorted I will be leaving Optus after over 10 years as they don't seem to give a stuff. I would recommend phoning the regulator or you are wasting your time.

terrywang

Today is 8th of June, it's been 8 days after the alleged network infrastructure upgrade. I just returned from Perisher only to find the even more pathetic speed when trying to download something fancy -> http://netgauge.ookla.com/share/2882773027.png

1.94 Mbps down / 0.5Mbps up the worst I have ever seen. During day time the speed does improve, at least during most time of the day 8am-5pm I can see the long lost 90 Mbps+. But what about night time peak? Has Optus done anything yet, did the infrastructure upgrade really happen? I doubt it.

Optus' broken promise, I've had enough. Dirty words cannot stop popping out of my mouth...

Nghi

Thanks for taking the time to speak with me on the phone terrywang. Really sorry about the current slows you are experiencing. More upgrades are planned for your area which will improve the situation. Please keep performing speed tests and let us know if you get slows outside of peak hours, as that may point towards a line fault which will need to be investigated by a technician. We are available 24/7 for Optus faults 131344.

terrywang

Thanks for the call.

Good to know more network upgrades are imminent in my area. I did get a SMS on 9 June saying the fault is now fixed. Speed does improve during non-peak hours but peak hours, it's still 2~5Mbps downstream which is hardly usable.

Another interesting finding is that bandwidth pretty much maxes out (90+Mbps) if using speedtest.net Syndey - internode mirror while Optus mirror is only producing 15~35Mpbs.

dmflorey
I haven't managed to experience a connection above 6mbps at all for the last few weeks regardless of the time, day, speed test servers used.

I am out of contract, but have been very happy in the past to bother / wanting to move elsewhere.

Optus needs to ensure they can talk the talk and walk the walk before selling something they don't have to begin with.
I work from home a lot and my online network engineering course I'm currently undertaking (which is very high in video content) is suffering far too much. It's now coming to the point where it's costing me...

I need this fixed or I will have no choice but to source an alternative ISP.

colindunbar

Experiencing the same speed issue on cable broadband at postcode 2087.

I also spoke to tech support and was told of congestion, he siad we should get an upgrade within 3 to 4 weeks.

Dam Netflicks for being so popular.

I agree about some compensation, we pay for 100mbs andare lucky to get 5

Crustypete

Brilliant work by Optus in Morningside 4170.

Might download some movies - sorry I meant a short simple email with no pictures. Must stay within capabilities here.

Where is the response to the Ombudsman Optus? -  Your 10 days response time runs out on Wednesday this week.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 3145 kbps (393.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 329 kbps (41.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 49 ms
Jitter: 29 ms
Packet Loss: -1%
13 June 2015 5:41:39 pm AEST

lara02

Consider yourself lucky. 

At best I can get 1.5Mbps.  Most evenings I'm at 0.4-0.8

And I just signed a 2 year contract for this garbage. Anyone know if there is a way out of it?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
69 Kudos
49 Kudos
38 Kudos
30 Kudos
16 Kudos