Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Extremely Slow Upload Speeds in Croydon North VIC at Peak Times

I've noticed that during peak times (up to about 10pm weekdays and 12am Fridays and Saturdays) my upload speed is awful. I've been having consistent issues with online gaming recently and tried my upload which was about 0.2-0.3mbps during peak and goes back up to about 1mbps once 10pm on a weeknight hits and 12am Friday and Saturday.

Does anyone else live in Croydon North VIC? Is there congestion on the network?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Extremely Slow Upload Speeds in Croydon North VIC at Peak Times

>>Does anyone else live in Croydon North VIC?

Definitely, unless it's a suburb you just made up.

>>Is there congestion on the network?

More than likely.

I presume you are gaming through ethernet cable, so that rules out wifi interference.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Mick..is it only upload you are worried about or both down and up speeds?  Are you with the NBN or are you on the old cable HFC network or ADSL?  You have to be specific if people here try to help you.  If your problem persists then try and PM one of the mods here.  Have your account number and personal details ready to provide to them.  They are usually pretty good and can sort things out for you.  You can do that or try the phone system ( a labyrinth of choices) or the written chat service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm in Altona Meadows and for the last week or so, both upload and download take a hit during peak times, I write this at 9:11pm on a Saturday and my download speed is a whopping, wow I just checked, it has speed up I am now at 4.5mb/s

NBN is on the way so Optus doesn't care about fixing speed issues on HFC.

My advice and as I am out of contract I am seriously looking at, is going back to ADSL. I am so close to the exchange that ADSL would not only be cheaper, it'll be faster. With the bonus of not having to use Optus customer service if you have an issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I'm on cable. The download is slower than usual but still around 40 to 59 Mbps. 

I had a tech out today who was able to find out that at least 6 houses in the immediate area were were having SNR issues and it's been referred to network to fix next week. So hopefully it will be. 

When he called the network people they could see the issues and when it was happening as well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Well if the problem is in the actual cable and the techs have spotted it then it will be fixed.  Your lower download speeds don't seem to be caused by congestion (which brings drops down into the single digit in speeds).

0 Kudos