cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Neel1988
New Contributor

Extreme frustration, false promises, blatant lies and one very annoyed customer

I have been dealing with a nightmare experience with Optus for over a week now. I applied to upgrade my ADSL to NBN because it had become available in my property. I placed the order and was given a connection date of 16th January. I was advised by the agent on the phone that no technician was required. The modem arrived and on the 17th I tried to set it up, but no internet access.

I called on the 17th and was told that a trouble ticket was raised for my connection and the agent advised me that a technician would come to my house on Friday 18th in the afternoon. No one turned up. I called up AGAIN on the 19th to advise that no technician had turned up as was promised. I was advised by Clarissa that no technician was booked and that I was given misinformation. Clarissa then advised me that someone would call me in the next 24 to 48 hours to book a technician appt time and date. I told her that I wanted her to call me on monday herself because I wasn't going to keep calling up and going through this rubbish and have your agents lie to me. Of course, Monday the 21st comes, and Clarrisa doesn't call me.

I angrily called again and this time and after 1 hour on the phone going through to 3 different agents, I finally got to someone who has supposedly booked a technician appointment for Thrusday 24th January between 8am-12pm.

I am logging this complaint to Optus as a warning that if I have been lied to about this appointment again, heads will roll. There is NO reason to blatantly lie to customers like this and the agents who do it need to be held accountable. The stress and frustration this has caused us actually really bad.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Extreme frustration, false promises, blatant lies and one very annoyed customer

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Extreme frustration, false promises, blatant lies and one very annoyed customer

Optus customer service can be a bit variable in what they say unfortunately. Its just as likely the first appointment was booked but the CS said it wasn't. etc. 

When transfering to the NBN Optus do lose direct control over the technician being sent as the NBN send it (and tell Optus when they will turn up). So if the NBN tech falls through then its not exactly Optus fault. 

The ACCC has recently instigated penalties for when NBN techs don't show up as scheduled. Unfortunately those penalties are paid to Optus which perversly IMO creates an incentive for missed calls rather than actually turning up. 

What is Optus fault is the lack of follow through. As you found with Clarrisa they'll promise to call later but have no intention of doing so. This appears to be widespread and Optus really should clamp down on CS agents making such promised knowing they never will (and are not required or expected to)

Make another booking and cross your fingers.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Neel1988
New Contributor

So an update here: 

My appointment day has come and gone, no technician. I’ve called Optus to find out what is going on and have been told “well the appointment wasn’t for someone to come inside your home they will do the work outside”.

however, I still have no nbn access, and the person on the phone has no idea what is happening. I almost lost my mind when the agent asked me to troubleshoot my modem, I’ve been through that at least a dozen times now. 

So im basically back to square one, another broken appointment by Optus and no internet access, and no one can seem to tell me what is going on. 

Off to to find another provider.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Neel1988
New Contributor

And just a side note: I have had the appointment rebooked now for next Wednesday .. I will decide over the weekend if I want to risk going ahead with him and being stood up again or go with another provider 

0 Kudos