Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor hardbyte
New Contributor

Extending Optus Cable by one telephone pole

Hi all,

Similar to this post from 2016 I'm looking for options to move off ADS2+ and ideally I'd like to switch to Optus Cable. I'm in a bit of a blackspot with Optus 4G, although Telstra network is an option.

On Optus ADSL (after technicians have tried tuning and tweaking) the best I get is about 3.0Mbps - that is the max in ideal conditions! I'd like to find out how to get a commercial quote for extending Optus Cable to the section.

Using the online checker I can see most of neighbours can get Optus Cable but alas I appear to be one telephone pole too far. At the most I think it would be 50m. There is so little information online I wondered how to go about it and if anyone has gotten connected?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
New Contributor hardbyte
New Contributor

Re: Extending Optus Cable by one telephone pole

Can someone from the serviceability team to get in touch? I should mention I've spent about 45 minutes on the phone three times describing the situation to every person along the way but each time I've eventually gotten transfered to an unmanned line 😕

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

not sure if optus will entertain extending the cable network as they are slowly decommissioning the cable network. If you can get Telstra cable then I would go that path. Another option is run a lan cable from your neighour and share the internet connection. How far is NBN rollout in your area?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There is no chance I'm afraid. FWIW the Telstra / Optus cable footprint hasn't been enlarged in over 30 odd years. Optus recently sold their cable network to NBNCo and after attempts were made to use it for the NBN rollout it was decided it was to be scrapped instead.

What street and postcode are you in? If you are near the cable foot print then Optus and other Telcos are offering high speed (up to 200 Mbps) mobile wireless plans that cost much the same as a standard landline plan. 

But otherwise the NBN should be arriving in your area before 2020.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos