cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Obie52
New Contributor

Excessive streaming data usage

I am looking for some answers to excessive data usage when streaming

I have a Sony Bravia Smart TV (Android) connected via wifi to Optus Broadband

On 9th April I streamed 2 i-View shows

Broadchurch  -  i-View advice is that filesize is 223mb

Vera -  i-View advice is that filesize is 445 mb

Total expected data usage  -  788mb

My "before" reading on Optus usage meter was 3.955gb

My "after reading" was 11.439mb

USAGE FOR THE STREAMING  -  7.474GB 

ie 10 TIMES expected data usage.

Don't seem to have the same issue with SBS or 7Plus

Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on here !!

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Re: Excessive streaming data usage

Hey Obie52 - was this for a Mobile Broadband device? If you'd like to get a more comprehensive detailing on what's used your data, please contact us on 133 937. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Obie52
New Contributor

I have a 30gb Optus cable broadband plan. My TV is connected via wifi modem.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Pete
RetiredModerator

Hmm, it must be an old plan. I don't remember the last time we offered 30GB on our Cable network. How did you verify 7.47GB was used towards streaming? We do offer unlimited Cable plans which might be a better option. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Obie52
New Contributor

Pete,

I bought the 30gb Optus cable broadband plan in March 2016; not so long ago.

I used the online Optus usage meter via my Optus account login to record "before" and "after" data usage.

You have not offered me any answers to the query.

I have booked a new Optus unlimited data plan on NBN (connection date some time between now and end of year) but, in the meantime, as a long time Optus customer, I would like to get to the bottom of what is clearly inexplicably high data usage on my current plan.

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @Obie52, we won't be able to tell you what he data was specifically used for. Cable data is tracked but not segregated into identified categories like mobile data is.

If you have multiple devices, it could be any or all of them. HD video streaming can use 3GB per hour. Some may be working in the background. If you have Wi-Fi, someone may have worked out your password and is leeching data. 

Do you have high uploads in the metered data? That usually indicates file sharing. Check with others in the household if they are using any such software. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Obie52
New Contributor

Only the 2 of us in the household and no other devices in use in the house at the time.

iView states that they do not sream in HD. If you refer their website, they are quite specific in their guidance on data usage.

If iView is not the problem, it sounds like "leeching" has occurred.

Will change wifi password.

It still strikes me as strange that it appears only a problem with iView.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Davis
New Contributor

Hi

Got exactly the same problem with Sony TV and telstra NBN, Checked my data usage history and the 10GB+ per day usage started withe the day I plugged the TV in. No other devices using such data, all options have been eliminated. It is the TV and I can't work out why. Can get around the problem by going through my ipad and apple TV, but kindof pisses on the idea of a "smart" TV. I'm still trying and will let you know. Has anyone talked to Sony about this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Davis
New Contributor

Hi

Got exactly the same problem with Sony TV and telstra NBN, Checked my data usage history and the 10GB+ per day usage started withe the day I plugged the TV in. No other devices using such data, all options have been eliminated. It is the TV and I can't work out why. Can get around the problem by going through my ipad and apple TV, but kind of pisses on the idea of a "smart" TV. I'm still trying and will let you know. Has anyone talked to Sony about this?

0 Kudos
New Contributor grennis
New Contributor

I have google wifi system which shows exactly what device is using what data. The Sony Bravia Smart TV (Android) has used 41GB of data to stream one movie (regular 1080p) from netflix. This is crazy! Did anyone find any answer for this?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors