Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
c_p
New Contributor
New Contributor

Excessive spam - HELP

Hi, in the past month or so, I have been receiving excessive amounts of spam emails. Despite flagging every relevant message through the Webmail system as Spam, every day I receive in excess of 20 spam emails. Is there any other effective way to prevent this from happening? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Serena_YC

Re: Excessive spam - HELP

Hi @c_p

Based on what you have mentioned, you are already doing the right thing in flagging the spam emails as spam. More information on spam and spam filtering can be found on our Internet security: Spam, spyware & viruses support page. 

I have also taken a look for you and can see that this issue had been previously discussed on this post, with some suggestions made by other users who had found them helpful. Do feel free to check the post out. 

If there is anything else we can lend a hand with, do feel free to give us a shout here. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Tags (2)
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Is there any other effective way to prevent this from happening? "

Yes. Get a mail provider that isn't RSP based. Email is traditionally provided to customers to trap them. If you ever try to leave Optus you lose your email address. Signing up made sense back when it was the only way to get an address but these days there's many free options that are much more feature rich, secure, larger and yes, no spam.

Telstra is shutting down its bigpond email this year. I suspect Optus will probably follow suit at some point. As such almost no development is done on their email platforms any more. Case in point, flagging spam does absolutely nothing essentially joins a pile of other flags.

Transferring to for example GMail is these days very easy. Setup up a free account to day and have a go importing your Optus emails. Your Optus account will remain as is if you decide to keep using it. Update your contacts and bank / utilities etc. After a little while you'll find nothing goes via your Optus account and everything is being sent to your GMail account. Job done. No Spam. Ongoing development.

0 Kudos
PeterKopp
New Contributor
New Contributor

Serena, I've had the same issues.
You're response, as is that of Optus, is entirely useless.
It is NOT acceptable for an ISP to say "Sorry, we cant stop the spam because it comes from different addresses"- I've had this EXACT response from your Senior advisors (happy to provide screenshots of same to this public forum). Its rubbish service. You should be advising new customers of your inability to block spam.
Any private, let alone corporate customer should be aware that you are "Unable" to stop spam - and that customers will be advised to route all emails through Gmail or similar if they want them screened.
As a consumer, you are unable to make your own filters to block spa. In addition, you are unable to select multiple emails to report as spam. All very simple features that even Yahoo and Hotmail sorted out 20years ago. Rubbish service from an Australian ISP.
0 Kudos
Kyri_YC

I'm sorry to hear this @PeterKopp.

I've made sure to tag your post as feedback, so it can be reviewed by our relevant teams for future purposes. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos