cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor ashleighw
Occasional Contributor

Error Message - Broadband sim

Hi there, I am hoping someone has encounetered this problem before and can help us as even Optus seem stumped.

We signed up to the 4G wireless last week and received our new modem and sim yesterday. We activated the sim, popped it in and went to connet to the wifi and encountered this message

Hmm... looks like you've tried to use your home wireless broadband in another device. Your sim will only work in the home wirelss broadband modem supplied in the kit when you signed up to your plan, so you can't use it in other devices.....

We called optus right away, they hadn't ever encountered this message and noone can seem to fix it for us. They asked us to go replace the sim so we did that and we're getting the same message. If anyone knows how to fix it please let me know!!

32 Replies
New Contributor bluebutter
New Contributor

Re: Error Message - Broadband sim

Our modem just arrived today and we're having the exact same problem. Any help will be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
New Contributor

UPDATE: Managed to online chat with a competent agent who was able to resolve this. They had to do something on their end which resulted in a re-confirmation of the order from Optus (not sure what that means).
0 Kudos
New Contributor Matty85
New Contributor

Picked up a B525 router in store today and went home and had the exact same issue. I'll give them a call as you suggested and see if that works.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

No matter who we speak to no one can fix it. It's so frustrating!!! 

How'd you go? We're going to take our modem back to Optus and ask them to fix it see if anyone in store can 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Do you remember who you spoke with?? 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Matty85
New Contributor

I chatted with someone online and they said to wait 24 hours for the service to be activated. I was told in store it would be done 10 mins after I left and on the SIM card it says to visit Optus.com.au/activatesim which says 4 hours. So I'm not sure which one it should be? Anyway if 24 hours passes and it's still not activated I'll try again.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

We received a message today saying they've finally realised there's a glitch affecting our service and they'll let us know once it's fixed! Our sim was activated almost a week ago and nothing!!!

0 Kudos
New Contributor

I think it was Hayley that  I 'spoke' to on the online chat, but not 100% sure. I did the chat after hours though if that helps. I'm pretty sure this is a system-related problem, and nothing on our end can help. Probably have to keep trying different agents until you get the problem solved?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Matty85
New Contributor

Yeah I got told on chat that it was a system error and that it would take 12-24 hours. Then I got a message a couple of hours ago saying that the issue was resolved and it should be working now but it's not. Looks like some more time speaking to them...

0 Kudos