Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ensuring Cable Internet contract does NOT continue?

Hi, our cable internet contract ends on Jan 29th.

I wish to ensure that the contract does not continue and go into month-month, as we already concurrently have NBN with another RSP.

As per usual your chat and phone reps are all giving contradicting information.

So Optus, how do I ensure this contract ends without penalty and without continuing, this should be really, really easy but of course it is not?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Ensuring Cable Internet contract does NOT continue?

Contracts don't auto-renew with Optus so if you do nothing and your contract ends, you automatically roll onto a month to month plan with the same inclusions. The only thing that might change is if you had a discount for the life of the contract, you'd lose that.

Keep in mind if you have NBN in your area already that Optus are shutting down their cable networks in these areas so your service may be terminated with notice. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I simply want the contract to end thats it. No month to month, just end.

I have been told 3 different things...

-To call up 15 days prior and advise cancellation

-To call on the final day (29th)

-To call on the 30th

Clear as mud??????????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Sorry my bad.

If you want it to end, call on the first day of your billing cycle that you're not in contract and cancel. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'd just call and advise now. Set an end date. 

If you really want to be official send a letter to that effect to Optus (now) 

If you already have the alternate NBN connection up and running then just call and cancel right now.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have, they would not accept my request to ensure the contract does not continue and told me to call back later.

Also tried to notify of contract end and cease of servcie on chat but they would not accept it either. They want to do it over the phone so you have no chat log proof, thus potentially getting you onto month-month and getting more money out of you.

I am all to familiar with how they work and eek extra money out of customers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Unfortunately many Optus process appear based on "trust us it will all be ok". And to be fair it usually is. But that Optus often benefit financially when its not is pretty dubious. Perhaps its best to refer to the contract. Seems a phone call 30 days out is required. Optus record all calls so not the date time and get a reference number if possible, ask them to stick a note in your file (even if they believe its not needed)

2.7 What happens at the end of the minimum term if the agreement is a fixed-length agreement?

(a) If the agreement is a fixed-length agreement and neither you nor we cancel the service at the end of the minimum term, the agreement becomes a non-fixed length agreement and we will continue to supply the service to you on a month-to-month basis in accordance with the agreement.

(b) If you do not wish to continue to use the service on a month-to-month basis after the end of the minimum term, you must inform us (in accordance with clause 11, 'Cancelling the service', below) by giving us 30 days notice before the end of the minimum term that you wish to cancel the service at the end of the minimum term.

(c) If we choose not to provide the service to you after the end of the minimum term, we will give you notice of this (in accordance with clause 11, 'Cancelling the service', below) by giving you 30 days notice before the end of the minimum term.

11.1 Your right to cancel the service

You may cancel the service at any time by: giving us 30 days notice (please note that you are required to give us this notice if you do not wish to continue to use the service after the end of the minimum term of a fixed-length agreement, otherwise we will continue to supply the service to you - see clause 2.7(b) above)

11.4 How can you cancel the service?

You can ask us to cancel the service by calling us. Your call will be notice to cancel the service.

11.5 When will the service be cancelled?
The service will be cancelled on the cancellation date. You will not be able to use the service after the cancellation date.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Plus if you feel your concern has not been handled fairly and competently by Optus, your best bet is to log a formal complaint via www.optus.com.au/complaints 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos