Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Emails missing in webmail

All the emails in my Inbox in Webmail have disappeared. Never happened before. Anybody experienced this before? Or contacting Optus is the answer?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Blog Author

Re: Emails missing in webmail

Hey @MAY2, that's definitely a bit of an odd one. What email client are you using with your Optus net email address? Are you also able to confirm the device it's being used on? Are you able to take look at the advanced mail server settings on both your computer and phone and untick remove from server after a certain period of time? You may of accidentally set a a timer. It's also worth logging into your email via webmail → https://webmail.optusnet.com.au/. Have your emails also been removed from there?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan, Not sure email client means but I use POP if that what it means and the device is a Samsung Notebook 10.1. I was changing the settings after a friend who uses gmail told me when she receives my emails it has a red padlock which means my emails are not encrypted in transit which means a third party can read my emails. I have 2 options in my settings 1) to delete the emails when I delete from my inbox 2) Never to delete from server.

It could be I had changed to option 1 at some stage but it is now on option 2. Yes all my emails were removed in webmail. But most importantly Dan, I want to set my emails so that they are encrypted and third parties can't read my emails in transit. Which port number do I use, do I tick SSL etc.  I can't believe my emails were being transmitted unencrypted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Ah, okay. There are two main protocols. There's POP3 & IMAP. The difference comes down to your ability to store emails on remote servers. This two-way protocol also allows the user to synchronize their email among multiple devices. For example, if your emails are stored on an IMAP server, each time you delete an email, they'll be removed from the server all together. POP3 downloads email from a server to a single device, and then deletes it from the server. You might notice when you try and access your email using a different device, the emails may appear missing. I'm fairly positive that you can send encrypted emails via the email application security settings (client simply refers to the email application i.e. Microsoft Outlook). I know in outlook if you navigate to your security settings → you can select the Encrypt message contents and attachments check box.

We do have thread with tips on how to set up your email using an IMAP server → https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/How-do-I-change-my-Optus-email-settings-from-PO.... If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

That's not a problem @MAY2, did you manage to recover your emails in the end?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No, I won't bother recovering the emails in webmail (nor do I know how to recover them) as I still have those emails I wanted to keep (for now) in the inbox on another device, which I will delete in due course. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Ah, that's not a problem @MAY2. I'm pretty sure we have a process to restore email inboxes. It's something that we'll usually do if we've mistakenly removed a customer’s email address or disconnected a customers service prematurely.

I'd have to seek out some more clarification. If anything else comes up, feel free to reach out to us here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan, A security email question - Gmail alert their users when they receive email from a sender whose account is not encrypted with a red lock in the top-right corner.  My sent emails to a gmail account has this red lock which tells me my outgoing emails via optus is not secure, ie is transmitted unencrypted and can be read by third parties. Can you confirm this is the case?  I cannot change my emails settings for outgoing emails to any other server port but server port 25 and I think this server port 25 is not secure. Would appreciate your clarication pls 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hmm, I've scroll through a couple of threads o the topic and I've found the following from a couple of years back which might help answer your question. From our old moderators response,” Our Optus severs only allow access through port 110 for incoming POP mail and 25 for outbound."

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Alternate-SMTP-port-required/td-p/112061

0 Kudos