Searching...

Emails automatically deleted after about 4-5 months

BazzaG

Hi,

Hopefully, someone from Optusnet support can answer this question for me ....

I've been using Optusnet webmail only for the last 8 months or so while I upgraded to a new PC.  I decided to continue using just Optusnet webmail ... even though the interface is a bit clunky.

However, I noticed today that emails older than about 4-5 months are being automatically deleted by *Optusnet* from my inbox.  As of today the oldest email in my inbox is a email I received on the 20/5/2014.

Why is Optusnet deleting my emails?  I'm well below the 50mb limit.

Re: Emails automatically deleted after about 4-5 months

Tom

Hi BazzaG, are you sure you don't have a mail client hooked into the Optusnet account that has settings to automatically purge emails after a specified time - are these emails showing in deleted items at all?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

BazzaG

Nope, no email client of any sort.  Not even a pgm that simply checks for new emails.

I've been meaning to install Office 2013 on my new PC & I would include Outlook, however, I haven't done so yet.

Yesterday, I added my 2 Optusnet email addresses to zoho.com via POP (mine & my wife's).  At this stage I am NOT deleting the emails from the Optusnet server so I can monitor the situation.  Unfortunately I can't use SSL connection because the security certificate used by Optusnet is self-signed & Zoho only allows a certificates issued by certified vendor ... fair enough too, Optusnet is being very slack/cheap to say the least.  Nor am I using IMAP as I can't actually confirm whether or not Optusnet email servers support IMAP.  The IMAP details aren't listed on their info page.

As of now, the oldest email in my inbox are 3 emails that arrived on the 20/05/2014.  I'm waiting to see just when they get deleted .... or not.

What's interesting is that SENT emails are not being deleted, nor are emails in my TRASH being deleted ... the oldest email in my TRASH is from the 17/05/2013.  I have also gone through the list of these emails twice just in case they were moved there by whatever/whomever.  I thought the Optusnet deleted emails in the TRASH folder periodically.  Maybe this is the problem, ie. Optusnet is incorrectly deleting emails from my & my wife's inbox instead of our trash folders????

According to the SETTINGS page, I'm currently using 5.1mb of my 50mb limit.

I've also attempted to contact Optusnet support but haven't received any response yet.

Cheers

Ryan

This certainly sounds strange. When was the last time you noticed emails in your Inbox prior to 20/05? Could it be possible that a program may have been run on this date that would have purged all of your Inbox; which is why the oldest is now showing as 20/05? Definitely keep an eye on the oldest ones currently showing in your Inbox & let us know if you notice them also disappearing.

In regards to IMAP - there should be no issue using this type of service on the Optus network; though POP3 is the preferred choice.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

BazzaG

"When was the last time you noticed emails in your Inbox prior to 20/05?" 

Not sure precisely ... about a month or 2 back.  I noticed 'em missing now because I went to read a email I sent myself from my former work email address that contained a list of names & contact details of my former work colleagues.  I know it used to be there as I have read the email a few times since I was retrenched back in March.

"Could it be possible that a program may have been run on this date that would have purged all of your Inbox"

I suppose anything is possible but I certainly don't remember doing so and I don't have any pgm installed on my PC that has that capability.

Tom

Hi BazzaG, we've checked with our engineers again, and they've confirmed that we definitely wouldn't have deleted emails, as would have to be done by a user with access to the account, or a program with auto delete settings. Unfortunately if emails have been deleted, there's no way for us to retrieve these (if not in your trash / junk folder).

So there's definitely nothing that happened on the 20th that could have caused this, any techs looking at your PC or anything like that? Have emails still remained from the 20th & no more have gone from your inbox at this stage?

BazzaG

Well we will just have to put this down to some unexplainable event.  I certainly can't explain it.  As of today, the oldest emails I have are still from the 20th April, so nothing has been deleted in the last few weeks.

Thankyou muchly for your assistance in this matter.

The 1 thing I would like fixed though, is for Optusnet to replace the self-signed SSL certificate with a valid registered SSL certificate from a certified Vendor.  That would be nice.

Tom

I can certainly pass on your feedback regarding this. Please let us know  if anything changes in terms of other mail etc.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
68 Kudos
52 Kudos
41 Kudos
25 Kudos