Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Email problems

[ Edited ]
normmccann

I am receiving this error message when trying to send emails, seem to be able to receive emails as normal Can anyone help with a fix for this problem My email usage pattern is a normal Is it related to the amount of emails in storage folders? thanks Norm An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Fw: Walbundrie Event 31 May 2015' Server Error: 450 Server Response: 450 4.7.1 <d110-33-104-178.mas800.nsw.optusnet.com.au[110.33.104.178]>: Client host rejected: Auto blocked due to excessive mail Server: 'mail.optusnet.com.au' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC68 Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): No

Re: Email problems

Bubba

Have you been sending many emails lately? It could be that you've sent a lot in the last, say, 24 hours and it's temp blocked you.

normmccann

G'day Bubba

thanks for your reply

my email usage is about normal, in fact I was away on the weekend so sent no emails & only started getting this error on Sunday night when back home

Norm

Bubba

No viruses picked up recently or any other weird activity on the machines/network?

Might need to call Optus to check on the error, they should be able to see if it's a block on their side.

normmccann

thanks again Bubba

Pete

Hi normmccann,

Our Optus spam filter has a 'demerit' system, so if you've been sending more than 30 emails a day for instance, the filter will block your sending for 24 hours to ensure your account hasn't been hacked or compromised. The next time it may only take 25 emails before blocking as the account is now flagged in the spam filter following the first time it was blocked. Each 'infraction' results in an increased risk of blocking.

I've seen instances before this spam filter was implemented where a customer may have accidentally clicked on a dodgy link in an email, and their account sends out 900 emails within the following day. It isn't a perfect system, very few are, but since it was activated we've seen a massive reduction in the amount of Optus accounts being compromised.

If you believe this has happened in error, we can definitely look into it for you, contact one of our chat team here -> Optus Chat2Us

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

normmccann

Thanks Peter

I did get a dodgy email a week or so ago, my optus security said it had detected a virus & had dealt with it. So I assumed everything would be ok. I might have opened the email but don't think I tried to open anything attached to it

I haven't had any of my regular contacts report back to me that they had received anything untoward from me

I have in the last day or so been able to send emails without getting the error message, have only had the need to send one or two emails though. If the problem persists I'll get on the chat line

Thanks for your help

Norm

Solution

Dan_DS

No problem Norm, glad to hear you can send again Smiley Happy In the cases that I've seen in the past, the hacker/spammer will send emails from your address to random email lists, so they may not necessarily send to your current contacts. The best thing to do is check your sent items to see if anything in there looks out of place.

Please let us know if the issue returns

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
66 Kudos
41 Kudos
32 Kudos
31 Kudos
18 Kudos