Searching...

Email hacked

Tenten

I’ve been with Optus since the day they started. Today is the first time my email address was used to send out a huge amount of spam. Password now changed. Why is this happening all of a sudden?

the amount of returned unable to send shocked me. My webmail was at 90%. Optus please fix whatever has happened to allow this. Thanks

Re: Email hacked

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

Hmm and now unfortunately anybody that tries to send mail via that same mail server will most likely be blocked.  I have noticed an increase in spam from Optus on my own mail servers and I can't help but wonder what may have changed. I assume there is brute force protection on the login. Did you have a difficult password for your login?

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

I suggest you find a (free) email provider that supplies 2FA (two factor authentication). Its not foolproof but it makes it highly unlikely you'll get hacked. As an added bonus you aren't tied to Optus (or any RSP) for the internet solely so you can keep your email address. 

Peter Gillespie

Tenten

Yes not possible for anyone to find my password 

Yeldarb

Very strange and you would think a strong password would keep them out. None of your devices got compromised as in viruses or anything of that nature? I did actually try random password against webmail and the secondary authentication did kick in.

brute-force.jpg

Highlighted

Tenten

No nothing. I have no idea how it has happened 

Tenten

This morning after changing my password yesterday there has been another 245 emails sent. Has anyone got any other ideas? I’m getting desperate now!

petergdownload

When you log into webmail does the SENT folder actually show you sending the emails?

Or are you just getting lots of 'undelivered' notices?

Peter Gillespie

Yeldarb

You will probably find you have not been hacked again and you are in fact looking at bounced mail that has been delayed for a number of different reasons. If you view one of those returned postmaster messages the date and time it was sent should correspond with the first time you were hacked.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

There's been a few reports of this today.

As mentioned change the password but if its oinly 'undeliverables' you are getting then its probable someone is spoofing your email address to send out spam. So they're not coming from your account but they will get sent back that way if undeliverable. Check your SENT folder. It should not have any of these emails?

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
76 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
29 Kudos