Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Email Spam filtering needs urgent attention letting lots in but can't report it as being blocked

Hey Keith, unfortunately the team I have mentioned aren't active on YesCrowd, but you can speak with them directly via email to abuse@optus.com.au.

I'd be happy to reach out to them on your behalf, but emailing them directly would have a faster response time. If you prefer for me to contact them, please send me a private message with your username, full name and DOB. I will pass on your comments and let you know of any updates.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Email Spam filtering needs urgent attention letting lots in but can't report it as being blocked

Ditto on all the above messages. I haven't bothered to report it. No big deal to delete the half dozen or so spam emails I now receive daily and that aren't picked up by the Optus Spam filter. Nevertheless, these emails have been coming through for several weeks

now and it is concerning that Optus seems reluctant to review the situation and filter the garbage out.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I've been checking with scamadviser.com. All the usual suspects listed in your message are there. It's possible to search the site for other information including server details. This should not be too hard for the Optus Support Team to do in order to isolate the spammers.

Oddly, it was only after I was put in contact with Optus Support to change my password - which was stuffed up and required another call - that I began getting emails from the sites you have listed. All of them are are using major Australian retailers as

the bait to open.

A doctored Optus mobile account I received seems to have been an exception. I think the time has come to look around for another telco that is able to keep on top of it's support operations. Optus seems pre-occupied with NBN speed complaints right now. 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Having the same issues as reported by others.

Seems Optus do not have intelligent enough filters to detect and block this spam.

Would have thought that receiving the same spam emails for a couple of months now would signal a problem.

As the initial  forum contributor has stated, I am still getting the Dan Murphy's spam. 

Also the "Outpayment" spam has been appearing at least 2-3 times per week.

Contributor
Contributor

Yep me too. 

Some emails come from an address like xxx@forger.com.xx

surely not too hard to filter these. 

I get 5-10 rubbishy emails a day and they are really starting to annoy me. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have been having the same issues and am totally over it. I now filter my Optus emails through my Gmail account. Funny how Gmail has no problem picking up the spam that Optus keeps letting through! My Optus account is mostly Spam now. Seriously considering dropping Optusmail altogether and changing all my contacts just to the Gmail account. I have been with Optus for so many years the change will be a major inconvenience, but so is all this spam! Such a shame after so many good years with optus and very little spam until the last year. 

Obviously Optus's email clients are no longer important enough to invest in adequate spam filters.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Sad but true....I'm thinking of dropping Optus as my email provider (but like you said a pain to do), but I'm sick of all the spam...and seriously, it's got to be taking up a lot of room at Optus??

Cheers,

-Keith

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

New Year's Resolution - no more spam, no more waiting for Optus to address the issue.  So after being with Optus for 10 years I've started using a new gmail account.  It will probably take me another month to change everything over to my new gmail account - all my contacts and account references that link to my email account.  It's  a very time consuming one-off inconvenience, unlike the spam which goes on and on and on!   

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Fully agree with everyone here complaining about the spam I've being getting spam coming through from various "nieuwsbrief" email domain accounts and like others have done keep reporting them as spam through Optus webmail but they still keep coming through.

The Optus email spam filtering is pathetic. If many people have reported/marked emails from similiar or same domain as spam many many times over the past year you'd think it would be smart enough to automatically pick it up as spam and block it automatically for you next time. Obviously such intelligence doesn't exist in the Optus spam filtering system.

Come on Optus up your game. It's spam filtering not rocket science mate.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I also will be looking around for a new mail provider. Sad because I have been with optusnet for over 20 years.

But they do not filter these very annoying and clearly spam emails, no matter how many times I block them.

Totally over it.