cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Contributor rob777
Contributor

Re: Ea servers (Fifa 17)

We are in a pickle then aren't we Optus..

I'm glad you have potentially found the problem now what can you do about it?

Because there is nothing Optus offers me which none of the other networks don't. And none of the other networks block me from playing FIFA after slogging away at work all day to instead listen to the Mrs crap on all night. I end up getting forced to watch finding Bigfoot and that crap on foxtel with her. 

I'm taking this extremely seriously. I need 'my time' after 10hr days ever bloody day. Serisouly if I go one more week without being able to play my freakin game I'm canning Optus.

I don't see why it's so hard. All the other networks let me play. 

Look at the end of the day as much of a inconvenience it is for me it's only an inconvenience. I can move to Telstra easily enough. 

Optus you lose revenue. This is a financial burden for you now. And I can guarantee the list of people this is happening to is only going to grow. What happens if you don't fix the problem? 

We have been with Optus over 10yrs. You have received 25k plus over this time frame with internet phone and mobile plans. 

So say 15k times 4 people here so far that are having problems. 

Bang this is instantly costing you 60k a year in revenue at minimum..

Anyway your call Optus on what you do from here.

I'm hoping you fix it. However Telstra is just a call away and I give you one week.  

Occasional Contributor Masa
Occasional Contributor

Well either Optus needs to contact Telstra (or whoever is providing their international links) to remove the re-routing/de-prioritisation of traffice to the Fifa servers or Optus re-routes the traffic themselves to not go through the node/s causing trouble.

Contributor rob777
Contributor

^^^^ What he said

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Cheers everyone for getting back to us and I'm glad that there was some more info provided by our case management team overnight. It's best to keep in mind that if the internet is working and you're able to get online, that's at the limit of Optus' support boundaries. Going into this as much as we have, is beyond what we support and the info below is more FYI than anything that our support teams are able to assist with. What we're offering here is some part of an explanation as to why you're seeing what we're seeing, however it's EA's responsibility to resolve issues related to the routing of the traffic to their servers. They would have the ability to contact the wholesaler who owns the lines and begin a discussion of how this traffic should be routed to improve player experience. 

I've also reached out for more info to help explain what's happening and was lucky to get one of the guys to have a further look into the traceroutes. For the results from Jellomanpine, Masa, Batshoey, kvds, Toine888 & Nbv we see the following towards the end of the trace route:

ae-0.akamai-prolexic.tokyjp05.jp.61.120.146.102 18 221ms 231ms 0% 116 / 116 220ms / 362ms
unknown.prolexic.com 72.52.56.200 19 227ms 235ms 0% 116 / 116 226ms / 373ms
unknown.prolexic.com 72.52.56.205 20 225ms 230ms 0% 116 / 116 220ms / 365ms

We looked into Prolexic and found their Wikipedia page here. This lists that the traffic is being routed to Prolexic, whose role is to provide protection to companies from DDOS attacks. You can also find more info on them here. I've copied some relevant info here from their Wiki to provide some context: The cloud-based DDoS mitigation approach used by Prolexic employs technology to redirect traffic to the company’s DDoS mitigation service, scrub the traffic, and send only legitimate traffic to the client site. Some of the final lines in (some of) the Traceroutes are ending at 209.200.184.165, which is the Akamai Technologies IP address, which indicate that the traffic is not being passed along to the EA game servers.

Now I'm not too sure if it's because Prolexic are flagging the traffic as a potential DDoS threat and blocking the traffic, or if it's being routed via their servers and then increasing your ping to the point where you don't have a good enough connection to the servers. The one thing that we are seeing is that the traffic is leaving the Optus side of the network and when the traffic is sent to the servers, that's where the connection succeeds or fails.

EA would definitely have the contacts to raise this for you with the wholesaler and ensure the traffic is directed to the best servers to ensure connection, however it's not something that we're able to change on our end. As the service is working to other sources, it's an issue that EA will need to work on in order to improve your experience going forward. We can definitely continue to investigate any info that is passed along as a service related issue, so if anyone else is experiencing these issues, we're happy for you to send through the info above and investigate on an individual level.

0 Kudos
Contributor rob777
Contributor

So are you wiping you hands clean from this. Not your problem I take it?? 

As a customer of Optus what do you suggest I do then, do you have contact details for these places so I can ask them about things I have no idea about? 

The fact still remains however, if you are an Optus customer you cannot play fifa between 730 and 1130m. Fact.

On every other ISP in Australia you can. Fact. 

Now Optus doesn't do anything special that the other ISP's don't do. Give me one good reason why I should continue to be an optus customer right now. Please just one reason? There arent any.

We have two potenial outcomes here.

1. I leave Optus entirely. Move to Telstra, life goes on.

2. Optus reduces my subscritpion by the amount of money its costs me to have more data on my telstra mobile phone so I can play fifa by hotspotting to the phone. Probably $10-$20 per month, I'm not sure yet.

As Optus employees what do you suggest the best step for me is? Knowing that I want a service that can provide access to Playstation games 24/7.

What would your next move be if you were in my shoes?

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The next move if I was in your shoes would be to raise the issue with EA support rob777. As the service we provide is working as it should (the traffic is leaving our network) then we're not seeing an issue on our end. The service that we provide is able to access the internet and sites on the internet, however the issue with the EA servers is isolated to EA. It would be my suggestion to raise this with EA directly in order to get them to speak with the wholesaler of the lines and arrange something that may work better for their customers. Can I ask if you've been able to look online to see if customers with other providers are having a similar issue connecting to these servers?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Masa
Occasional Contributor

"The service that we provide is able to access the internet and sites on the internet"

Well clearly that is not happening since access to Fifa is not happening during certain times of the day. Surely as the provided it is your responsibility to ensure any roadblocks are investigated and resolved (ie, Optus should be in contact with EA to work put why traffic has been blocked).

I get the feeling that because this is only impacting a small % of the customer base, Optus are happy to wash their hands of this. I would imagine the response would be much different if access to Youtube/Netflix was blocked during peak hours.

0 Kudos
Contributor rob777
Contributor

You have honestly just lost a customer. Thanks for nothing Optus. 

Claiming it's not your problem, yet the problem only exists with Optus customers... Derp. 

Seriously thought you would of tried harder to fix this for your customers instead of losing to rival isp providers. But that's your perogative. Strange way of customer retention but that's the way the cookie crumbles I suppose. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Really sorry to hear that rob777. I'd still suggest contacting the game provider's support team to troubleshoot the issue and checking online to see if there's similar issues with other ISP's, the last thing we'd want to see is a similar issue with another ISP. In regards to your comments Masa, if it was affecting all players using FIFA we'd definitely looking into this as an Optus related issue, however we believe that this is caused by the game provider routing the traffic through Prolexic and in some cases, ending the connection at that point. Can I ask if there's a specific reason why there's hesitation to raise this with the game provider?

0 Kudos
Contributor rob777
Contributor

Jesus christ, go back to the beginning of the thread! There is no hesitation and I'm currently on a 50min hold call with them again right now!!!!

That was all of ours first bloody step. The only reason I know about trace routes is because I have already done this with them. They can't see problems. They told me isp problems hence why we started this bloody post in the first. 

Why don't as the providers of said internet why don't you contact these places and go hey we can't provide the services to our customers. Let's work to fix this. 

But no Optus doesn't want to help, Optus prefers me to change isp providers lol go figure that one out. 

Top Contributors