cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor cynixe
New Contributor

EXTREMELY slow cable speed

I'm current on a cable plan that claims to provide 100 mbps. However, at average I am receiving a meager 3-4 mbps with horrible connections to Australian servers in any applications -  anywhere from between a constant 100 - 600 ms that fluctuates extremely regularly. Seriously, whatever I'm paying for here, Optus is not providing an adequate service.

36 Replies
New Contributor XavierDragnesi
New Contributor

Re: EXTREMELY slow cable speed

I'm also on cable, though I think my plan only promises 30 mbps line speed. Even so, this is the speed test I got tonight: 

Oz Broadband Speed Test
[(Test run on [*03/04/2017*] @ [*08:04 PM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Optus*]
Data: [*288 KB*]
Test Time: [*10.8 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*218 kbps*] (0.22 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*27 KB/s*] (0.03 MB/s). )]

Speeds are as claimed during offpeak hours, but during peak hours, this is ridiculous. I can accept a slightly slower speed due to congestion, but 27KB/s? That's unusable. It's been like this for months now, still don't see Optus actually doing anything about it.

Moderator Casey_

Hey @cynixe, sorry to hear you're having issues with your service. Have you had a chance to report this to our technical support team on 131344 yet? 

Contributor BigBad64
Contributor

I'd get them to drop you to the 30 Mbps capped plan until you get 30 Mbps most of the time and then maybe try lifting it to 100 again if it's not fast enough for you.  I'd be p'd off if I was paying for 100 and only getting those numbers. 

New Contributor HB52
New Contributor

Slow speed issues started July 2016 and were to be resolved in September 2016 after upgrade to local exchanged. Problem never improved and worsened in January 2017 and in February was informed that upgrade would occurn in March 2017.  To my disgust,internet went from EXTREMELY slow to NO INTERNET.  Temporary fix was to reboot router each time and after a reboot speeds of up to 70Mbps were achieved until peak times, then back to a trickle.  After being told that the congestion issues was resolved and hearing every excuse possible, they finally sent a technician out.  He concurred that Ookla speed test was accurate and that the problem was external, so replaced the splitter the provides a connection between Foxtel and Broadband service, even though there was an existing Network Issue.  Since the splitter was replaced, the speed has been gone above 19Mbps and the best that Optus could offer was to cancel my service if I am still not satisfied with the poor service.

The contracted technician that arrived had no interest in the problem and could not get to his next appointment quick enough and his only advice was that he deals with all carriers, and that Optus was better than others.  Care factor Zero!

Having all services with Optus, I am now ready to take all my services elsewhere.  Optus featuring Foxtel, Braodband, Fixed Line, and 3 mobiles.  The offshore service desk and unsympathetic parting advice from Suyog were " if you are still not happy with the service after the tech visit, then you can call and get the service disconnected".

I didn't mention that each time I called for support I had to wait in excess of one hour to speak to a person and kept getting an SMS for self service and that isn't impersonal enough, I don't know what is.

I would be happy to hear from anyone who has a positive experience with ISPs in the Glenroy area so I can use my streaming services like Netflix and Stan.

New Contributor Kelthor
New Contributor

Sadly this is how Optus operates now.  

They've got the NBN coming in so they're saying fat chance to any sort of network upgrade (it would be a waste of $$) 

This is why they won't fix anything and are happy for you to get lost. 

I am paying for 100mbit but get 7mbit each night (7pm-11pm) and weekends. 

They can do this because there are no alternatives.  (we already have Telstra cable as well)

I lot of us figured the NBN would bring salvation... but once again that product is ruined and will probably (once again) ruin the internet for ~15 years. 

Contributor Roamnski
Contributor

I have been complaining about Optus Cable speeds during peak period (7-10 pm) for a long time (nearly 2 years). No improvement to date.  Paying 120 per month which includes the speed pack and cannot watch Youtube videos. Today the speed was 3mbs!!. at 9:45 pm. When we complain the standard response is "Sorry to hear this. We are we are working on it in your area". Really Optus should be ashamed to hear so many complaints about Cable congestion. But they seem to have developed a casual attitude towards this problem as there are no other cable providers in our area (Padstow)

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks for reaching out @Roamnski,

I agree that two years is an incredibly long time to be dealing with the same issue. During this period had we advised of an expected capacity upgrade time frame? Have we given you any indication as to when NBN will be rolled out in your area? What sort of speeds is the service capable of achieving during non-peaks hours of usage, do you get above the 30Mbps mark? I'm sorry that you've been given the impression that we have a blasé attitude towards the issue; it's definitely not the case.

I'm more than happy to discuss some options with you moving forward. Send us a PM with your account details. We'll need your full name, DOB and account number. We'll get back to you as soon as we can.

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor Roamnski
Contributor

Thanks Dan. During weekends daytime (10 am to 7pm) we get good bandwith (60-80Mbps). After that the bandwith dramitcally drops to 10-15 around 7 pm and then 3-5 around 9 pm. So it is clear there a high congestion duirng peka hours in my area. Was told an upgrade is scheduled but no improvement. Not sure when NBN will be availabe but also not sure is there any advantage of changing to NBN

0 Kudos
New Contributor Kelthor
New Contributor

I have reported your post however you may want to remove your personal details should they not get to it first. 

You need to send the rep a personal message via the forums and not in a public post. 

0 Kudos