Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
New Contributor kychan
New Contributor

EXTREMELY Poor download speed on 4G 500GB wireless home broadband

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to boost my download speeds on my 4G 500GB home broadband plan. Currently, the router's software says I have a clear 5 bar 4G signal however when I use the service on any of my devices I'm consistently capping at around 10kb/s download speed despite upload speeds being consistently at 20mb/s!!! Before anyone mentions the basics, so far I have:

- Changed the router location, multiple times

- Used a wired connection

- Checked for outages in my area

- Turned the modem/router on and off again?

I'm all out of ideas and quickly losing faith, my building has old and faulty wiring and I'm unable to modify anything as I'm not the owner, thus this is my last option for obtaining an internet connection.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: EXTREMELY Poor download speed on 4G 500GB wireless home broadband

Hmm when I have seen high upload speeds and terrible download speeds it has often been congestion related. Have you spoken with support about it?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Sometimes these matters resolve themselves but it doesn't help customers who are experiencing problems. I think @Yeldarb has a very good point - notifying Optus may start a remedial process. Local tower congestion, software upgrades or maintenance can impact connectivity for users. Wasn't sure if had done this or not or just placed the modem nearer to a window, if you know where your local Optus tower is in your suburb and its feasible, maybe a realignment to a different room towards the tower may improve matters. In case of interest or of any marginal assistance whilst Optus resolves the fault/condition for you - the presenter, Austar,  shows how he improved his Optus mobile broadband speeds by changing two Auto default settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ZWZ7NuQNk

New Contributor WendyWoo22
New Contributor

Try this ...

Download this guide. https://devicehelp.optus.com.au/huawei/b525-windows-10/connectivity/set-up-your-router-for-internet/

1. Click on the ‘Connectivity Tab’
  2. Followed the ‘How to setup your Router for Internet’ process which guides you to create a new profile. 
  3. Then follow the ‘Choose a network mode’ guide

Good Luck I hope it helps 

Occasional Contributor Marjarie9
Occasional Contributor

only a sugestion try ebay for a netgear nighthawk  wireless modem also  has outdoor antenea ( i know i cant spell)  

www.campadelectronics.com.au  try them. or look for it on ebay.

just my thoughts
Marjarie9
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The Wireless Broadband plans are locked to specific devices so thats not an option.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Marjarie9
Occasional Contributor

thankyou for that , i did not know i did not know optus made gender - optus gender specific, thats really dominating thier corner of the market.
0 Kudos