cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Dual Band modems/routers explained

If you’ve received dual band modem, you have the option to connect to two different WiFi networks. In this article, we’ll explain the difference between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks.

What’s a Dual Band modem? 

The term, “Dual band” refers to a modem that works on the 2.4GHz & 5Ghz Wireless frequencies. Our current Optus supplied dual band modems include:

Home Broadband (Fixed)

Wireless Broadband

The difference between 2.4GHz & 5GHz

The main differences between the two frequencies is the impact to the range and speed of your WiFi signal.   

As a general rule, lower frequencies carry data over longer distances and are less susceptible to signal loss. Higher frequencies mean more bandwidth which translates to higher data rates.

There is a drawback- the 5GHz signal doesn’t penetrate solid objects as efficiently as the 2.4Ghz band and may result in signal loss over longer distances.

Wifi networks explained.JPG

Range

Less signal loss over further distances

Shorter signal range

Speed

Slower data transfer rates

Faster data transfer rates over shorter distances

Susceptibility to interference

Radio band used by common house hold appliances such as microwaves. This can cause overcrowding on the 2.4GHz band

Less susceptible to signal interference

Which WiFi band should I use?

When I should use 5GHz? 

Connect to the 5GHz band when you’re within close range to your modem. Higher frequencies transmit data at a faster rate, resulting in quicker download and upload speeds. The construct of your home will also be a factor. For example, walls made from dense solid material such as brick or metal may impede your signal. If this applies to you, try switching to the 2.4Ghz band.

When should I use 2.4GHz?

Lower frequencies have the added advantage of being able to penetrate solid objects, like walls and floors. So, If the range of your Wireless Network is of importance, you’ll want to connect to the 2.4GHz band. The 2.4GHz band is suited for those with larger homes with multiple devices in separate rooms to your modem. 

Enabling the 5GHz band

In most cases, the 5GHz band will enabled by default. When searching for available WiFi networks, you’ll see the option to connect to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFI Network (SSID). The two networks should share the same password; however, you can change the name of your WiFi network and password via the modem GUI (setting/configuration page.

1 Reply
Occasional Contributor gearboxx
Occasional Contributor

Re: Dual Band modems/routers explained

I've been told that when the nbn is first connected, the speed is always slow and after about a week it gets to the speed you pay for eg 50/20 etc but it will get faster each day for a week or 6 weeks. Is this correct?

0 Kudos