cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Dual Band Modems and Routers Explained

If you’ve received dual band modem, you'll have the option to connect to two different WiFi networks. In this article, we’ll explain what a dual band modem is.

What’s a Dual band modem?

Dual band refers to a modem that works on the 2.4GHz & 5GHz Wireless frequencies.

Our current Optus supplied dual band modems include:

The difference between 2.4GHz & 5GHz | Low vs high frequency bands

The main differences between the two frequencies are how they effect the range and speed of your WiFi signal as well the ease of which they can pass through solid objects (known as penetrability). 

As a general rule, lower frequencies like the 2.4GHz band can travel further, are better at passing through solid objects but transmit data at a lower rate (when your device is within close range to your modem).

On the other hand, higher frequency bands such as the 5GHz band can't travel as far, have a harder time passing through dense material but offer superior speeds when your device is within close range to your modem. 

Function              2.4GHz                                                                                  5GHz

Speed Slower maximum potential speeds  Faster maximum potential speed 
Signal Range Less signal loss over longer distances (can be susceptible to interference from other devices working on the same frequency band)

Greater potential for signal loss over further distances 

Penetrability  Signal can pass through solid objects with greater ease Signal has a harder time passing through dense solid material

Which WiFi band should I use?

Connect to the 5GHz band when:

• You’re within close range to your modem and want to take advantage of faster WiFi speeds
  • Your modem isn't placed in a room enclosed by walls made from dense material such as concrete or brick 
  • You've noticed on-going dropouts on your WiFi network which may be caused by signal interference from other devices/appliances

Connect to the 2.4GHz band when:

• The range of your Wireless Network is of importance. The 2.4GHz band is suited for those with larger homes with multiple devices in separate rooms to your modem
  • Your modem has been placed in a room separated by walls made from dense material

FAQ's

How to enable the 5GHz band

In most cases, the 5GHz band will enabled by default. When searching for available WiFi networks, you’ll see the option to connect to both the 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFI Network (SSID). The two networks should share the same password. You can change the name of your WiFi network and password via the modem GUI (the setting and configuration page).

Are there any minimum device requirements?

The device that you're using to connect to your Home WiFi network must support AC WiFi. Most newer devices are compatible with both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. If you're not sure, check your device specs (either on the manufacturers website or printed on the packaging). You'll want to look out for 802.11ac (normally listed under Wireless connectivity or WLAN).

If you're considering a WiFi range extender, you'll also want to make sure that it offers Dual Band connectivity. 

11 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Dual Band modems/routers explained

I've been told that when the nbn is first connected, the speed is always slow and after about a week it gets to the speed you pay for eg 50/20 etc but it will get faster each day for a week or 6 weeks. Is this correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Is that something that we've advised @gearboxx? It's the first I've heard of such a thing. 

What sort of speeds are you seeing on your end?

What type of NBN is connected in your area i.e. NBN-HFC, FTTP,FTTB,FTTN? If you have an NBN connection box (network termination device), try connecting a laptop or desktop directly into the assigned UNI-D port. If you run a speed test. that’ll give you the best indication of the speeds the service is able to achieve. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

It’s also important to note that on most Wi-Fi chips, the 2.4GHz signal only supports connections on 802.11a/b/g/n while the 5GHz radio also supports 802.11ac. While it’s not so important for your external internet access (because 802.11n will generally support speeds greater than your internet speed), you won’t get local network connections as quick on 2.4GHz - which will affect speeds for tasks like copying files to network storage.

---

Please note that I am not employed by Optus and as such any views are my own and the information provided is (at best) general only and does not take into account your dreams, aspirations or financial circumstances.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have a Canon wireless printer. Since connecting to NBN the device casn't be found. Canon advised the printer is only compatible with 2.4Ghz not 5Ghz. I have a Sagemcom dual band modem. If I set it up to operate on both bands, does this mean I need to select the 2.4Ghz band when trying to print/scan, then revert to 5Ghz for usual internet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @Piecone, your internet will work on both the bands - 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Lower frequency (2.4Ghz) means longer Wi-Fi range while high frequency 5Ghz means short Wi-Fi range. You can connect some device on 2.4Ghz and some on 5Ghz if you wish. Since your printer is only compatible with 2.4Ghz as such you need to make sure the device you are printing from is also connected to the same band - 2.4Ghz to print it wireless.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I'll try to do that. Is there a guide to doing this?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I have been a little slack with this. You mentioned that I can set up my PC to operate to the 2.4Ghz range to enable me to print to my Canon printer that's only compatible with this range. But how do I do this? Is it in the settings of my PC or do I need to access the modem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @Piecone, on your PC when you search the Wi-Fi network it will show you two options. One is with 5Ghz mentioned at the end and the other one which does not mention any Ghz at the end. You connect to the one which does not mention any Ghz at the end which is the one your printer should be connected to.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply but I don't see the two options you refer to. Looking at Network & Internet options from settings, I only see the existing connection? I am on Windows 10

0 Kudos