Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
New Contributor HVR
New Contributor

Dropouts

Hi,

For the last 3 days, our HFC broadband internet (and home phone) has been dropping in and out during business hours.  Some outages have been for just a few minutes; others have been up to an hour.  While it can be a pain when the internet drops out, the major gripe is that it takes the home phone with it and that is not at all helpful, especially when my wife has just had an operation and medical staff are trying to contact us.

[Edit] This message has been interrupted twice while I've been typing it!

I can only assume that this is a maintenance issue rather than a problem with our modem/router as our hardware was tested and factory reset last week and a fault raised about the actual service.

My question (and subsequent request) is that if technicians are actually causing this, then presumably it is known where they are operating, and consequently why can't those who are likely to be affected be forewarned that their service is going to be disrupted?  It's not as if Optus doesn't have our email address and know our street address.

If it in fact the NBN and not Optus who are causing these interruptions, then I'm assuming anyone in the area regardless of their ISP will be hit with outages.  In that case, why doesn't NBN advise the ISPs who have clients on that node that they are working on it.

Communications (especially now that our phones are via the NBN) are considered to be an essential utility service. Were our power or water (and in the 'old' days, our telephones) to be disconnected multiple times over multiple days, there would be an unholy ruckus, but it would seem to be OK to interrupt communications without warning.  I feel sorry for any businesses impacted by this.

Any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Sue and Chris

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chloesok
Blog Author

Re: Dropouts

Hey Sue and Chris, thanks for reaching out to us. I can certainly appreciate your concerns with this here, and I do apologise for any inconvenience caused. You mentioned that a fault had been raised for your service - did you happen to have the faults reference number handy? If you could please send it through to us in a PM, I'd be happy to take a closer look into this for you and see if I can provide you with a more detailed update in regards to your service. In the mean time, I'll definitely go ahead and pass along your feedback to the relevant teams for review, as we're always looking for ways to improve our services.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos