Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Download slow/upload fast

My upload speed is awesome, much higher than download. Download speed is woeful, very slow.. 4-5mb down vs 18-20mb up. This is a daily issue.  Resets, different time of day etc, rarely makes a difference

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Download slow/upload fast

@sven1  Most internet connections have a much slower upload than download speed.

There are high end business plans that offer symmetric/synchronous internet connections.

Even the NBN 1000 plan at Aussie broadband is limited to 50mb upload speed.

There has been criticism of the upload limit on the faster NBN plans.

I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I think you misread? my upload is waaay FASTER than download
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Good news is that indicates something is definitely busted. The NBN (and so Optus) must provide a 25Mbps minimum connection to your home. What technology do you have? HFC?

https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address

What speed plan are you on? 50Mbps?

That mix of speeds indicates your line is physically ok but something is mist set. You'll need to contact Optus directly and request they send an NBN technician out to investigate the source of the problem.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, thanks for the quick response. I may have put the wring category in this msg. I've got a 4g wireless modem connection. The speeds used to be fairly reliably around the 20mb down/4mb up speed, but now it's reversed the connection is almost useless for the multiple zoom calls we need in our home office, let alone multiple streaming watchers.

Thanks
Sven
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ah. There's still something going on though. Possibly request Optus replace the modem. There should be some trouble shooting you can do. What PostCode / Nearby Street are you in?
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok. I've been trying to find where to log a ticket but the atupid website keeps redirecting me to thenvrowd support and virtual assistants. Tech support in 2020 🤯 I'm in Serpentine WA with50% signal strength from the nearest Optus tower.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Oops
I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Optus support 133 937 or from o/seas, +61 2 8082 5678 and is free from an optus mobile. Or twitter or facebook.

On speedtest.net on my galaxy s6 mobile I am seeing around 5 Mbps download on my Kogan/Vodafone connection. Sometimes up to 8. For some reason their website doesn't seem to offer an upload test when running in mobile browsers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@sven1There is not allot of detail you have provided (4G where the upload speed is reasonable and download speed sucks).

If you have a Huawei  modem (modem details not supplied) you could try locking out band B40 (goggle what it is) and check out the speed using a speed test. To lockup the band and see what tower you are connected to have a look at the apps on the following thread:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Is-it-possible-to-Telnet-into-either-the-B525-or-B818-that-O...

If you have the AC800S they google how to telnet into it and lock bands, unfortunately my setup for some obscure reason did not allow me to telent into it.

If this is too hard then use the myapp and try to get help, but be aware that based on past experience the support staff will have no idea about trouble shooting the modem connection to the tower and will not be able to answer technical queries.

Good luck.