Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
New Contributor Kat4
New Contributor

Dongle not working

My husbands broadband dongle will no longer work on his apple laptop (Macbook air).  He went into the optus store this morning to get some help to find out what was happening.

When they rang tech support, they said that his dongle was active, however, they would not troubleshoot the problem unless he put more money onto the account (the credit on it is good till 17/12).  When he asked if he would be reimbursed the money if they could not get the dongle to work again, he was told no.

He has recently had updates on his laptop.  Can anyone suggest what might be the problem?

Thanks.

Kat.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Dongle not working

most USB Dongle doesnt work on MAC speacillay the new OS MAC Sierra, what the make and model of your dongle?OS version of your MAC?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Steph_C
RetiredModerator

To clarify @Kat4 are you able to use the device on a PC? 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

New Contributor jbel
New Contributor

I've never been able to buy a USB dongle for Mac. I have a Macbook-Air and use that Black 'squarish' wifi connection. If thre's a dongle, I'd love to know. Optus???D

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Hey @jbel, the only USB modem we sell these days is this one. As far as I'm aware this should be compatible with Macs too.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor jbel
New Contributor

Thanks for the response Toomey but the last time I checked, that dongle you suggested did not work with a Mac. If anyone has one and is using it I'd love to know. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@jbel, there seems to be a few discussions on the topic on Apples forum.

I've found the following:

step 1: go to huawei website

http://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/search/?keywords=e3372&t=supportsearch

step 2: download the file stick version to support mac 10.11.zip

step 3: extract the zip file and read the user manual basic version

step 4: follow the installation steps to install the mobile partner

step 5: open the mobile partner and connect. if no specific connection settings are provided by isp, go to tools->profile management and select 'dynamic'

Might be of some use to you. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor jbel
New Contributor

Thanks for the info. I couldn't locate that second link. I really just want to know if there is a dongle suitable for use with a Mac. I've been using the other connection but it can be a nuisance when I'm on the move.

I appreciate your information. Thanks.

0 Kudos
New Contributor suncmcb
New Contributor

Well that's not even remotely true @markdennis

0 Kudos