Searching...
Accepted Solution

Does the Huawei E5186 wireless broadband modem from OPTUS work on 3G and 4G?

Silvolde

Hi,

I am interested in the 50GB plan from Optus using the Huawei broadband modem model E5186. Because we are a travelling couple  

(grey nomads) I find myself at times in areas where there is no 4G but only 3G. Therefore I need to know if the Huawei E5186 modem will work on 3G when 4G is not available. 

Can someone advise please.

Thank you

Gerard

Re: Does the Huawei E5186 wireless broadband modem from OPTUS work on 3G and 4G?

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

50GB Plan? Excuse my ignorance on the subject but I didn’t think those 50GB home broadband plans were actually mobile. I could be completely wrong however I thought those plans were running off selected towers and not something that was available to the normal 4G network. Are you referring to the link below or some other 50GB plan?

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-wireless-broadband

Re: Does the Huawei E5186 wireless broadband modem from OPTUS work on 3G and 4G?

Silvolde

Yes, That is the one I am looking at.

Got off the phone a few hours ago speaking to Optus and the Lady said it will also do 3G. I told her that I had checked the spec and couldn't find that it would work on 3G, only on 4G. She then had to call a technical person from Optus and had it confirmed that the E5186 wireless broadband modem will work on 3G when 4G is not available.

I would like to sign up for 2 years but I am at times in 3G areas and must still be able to connect. 

Current status: Optus sales person and tech person confirmed it will work on 3G but spec does not agree.

Don't want to buy it and then find out it doesn't work on 3G. Have to be sure!

Thanks for your reply

Yeldarb

I think I must have missed something my friend. What I am trying to say is I don’t think that package is mobile. Meaning it won’t work as a traveling nomad.

Silvolde

If you mean mobile meaning must have battery to operate when 240V is not available, then yes.

But I have 240V anywhere I camp, travel to etc. In other words I can camp for weeks on end using solar power and sine wave inverter.

That is why I am interested in this Optus deal because of the 50GB and because I have 240V available anywhere.

Now trying to have it 100% confirmed that the E5186 will indeed operate on 3G when 4G is not available.

Thanks

Solution

Beyms

Hi Silvolde, the Home Wireless Broadband only works with 4G. Kindly check this link

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-wireless-broadband/plans#Plans

And expand the Nitty Gritty option there. It's only available in selected areas on the optus 4Gplus network

Highlighted

Estyle

Hi, 

Do you already get the Huawei E5186 broadband modem? How about the performance for network connection? And the surfing speed? I'm also considering to buy a Huawei E5186 to replace my current B593

Guy

Hey @Siulvolde. The Huawei E5186 that we provide on our network only supports 4G at this time. However we have a range of other devices which are 3G and 4G compatible which may suit your needs better. You can check them out here. Also when travelling, you can check the coverage by looking at our coverage map here.

Eric008

The Huawei E5186 can switch to 3G if 4G LTE network is not available. But if you will go for travelling, i think Huawei E5786 or E5770 4g pocket WiFi is better than E5186. 

RustyK

Yes it will switch to 3G but Optus has locked this option for some silly reason.  I have friends that use the same modem with other providers around the world and theirs can switch to 3G.

May be someone from optus could tell me why they have locked this function on their modems or is it the sim card taht is locked.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
76 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
28 Kudos