cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Wrongway
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Do I have to sign up to a new 24-month contract if I switch to Optus NBN?

Hi there.  If I was basically forced into a 24 month contract for NBN in 2017 (forced because Optus said our cable was being disconnected) to later be told that we are staying on cable because Optus are having roll out issues. Would it not be reasonable that the 24 month contact still be valid (expires November 2019) now that we are getting cable disconnection notices again?  Optus say no.  We must sign up for another 24 months on $99 a month eventhough the previous deal was $80 per month.  Has anyone else encountred this experience?

Any comments/information will be gratefully received.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NEW NBN 24 MONTH CONTRACT

This is both an unusual and common issue. The unusual part is that you've referenced 2017. Back then Optus was being aggressive / illegal and has been fined heavily for its sales staff suggesting people must sign up for new contracts with Optus because, well the NBN... 

There are a number of factors at play here (and to cut to the end you are in the drivers seat).

1) A contract is a contract. No one can force you to sign up to any new contract.

2) However the flip side is the Optus contract says they can cease providing a service any time they decide. You can't force them to provide the internet either.

3) When the the NBN arrives in your suburb Optus has decided it will cancel all exisiting contracts in three months. There's no penalty on your part. 

4) At this point you have a few different options (although one of them is not insisting Optus honour your current deal)

a) Ask Optus to transition you to the NBN. They will tell you the terms and pricing. Up to you if you want to agree. FWIW you should be able to insist you move to a month to month contract (They may say yes or no)

b) Pick any other RSP to migrate you to the NBN. As Optus are cancelling the contract you're free to choose any plan and every RSP uses the same NBN connection to your home. FWIW I recommend picking an RSP that offers month to month plans so you can shift to another plan any time you want.

5) Note that the NBN is generally a little more expensive at the moment than old plans. Expect to add $10-$20 for the same setup but if you are happy to go to a 50Mbps plan the pricing should be very similar.

Main point, you are in the drivers seat.

Peter Gillespie

AlistarS
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Wrongway, there was a cease sell on NBN-HFC services for a period for 18-months (whilst NBN were making improvements to their infrastructure. It's worthwhile asking the consultant if you can stay on your existing plan. They might advise that your cable plan isn't available on the nbn™.

The difference between the plans available on NBN Vs our other Fixed Broadband products are the speed pack inclusions. Our current in-market plans include the 50/20 speed tier by default (with the option to boost your speed to 100/40 for an additional $30.00 p/month.

Going back to 2017, I believe the in-built speed inclusion was 12/1 or 25/5. Currently, the entry level NBN plan is $85/p month, with the option to sign up on a month by month basis. As @petergdownload mentioned, you're under no obligation to stay with Optus. If you'd prefer to seek out another provider, you will not be penalised. 

Wrongway
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

A big thank you to Peter and Alistar for their informative replies.  They are great resources to have available to us newbies negotiating the maze of transitioning to NBN.

AlistarS
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'm sorry if it's bit of an information overload! I just thought I'd also address the Fetch query you have. 

A Fetch replacement is not necessary. You can retain your existing Fetch Mighty set top box. To be honest, it's the first I've heard of such advice being given. It's completely incorrect. 

We do perform some minor adjustments to the Fetch service, that's simply us going in and linking your existing Fetch STB to your new NBN plan. 

If you have any other questions, keep em coming 🙂 We're happy to help. It's helpful for any others lurking the forum who might be in the same position as yourself. 

0 Kudos