Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor RealReaperHR
Occasional Contributor

Disconnected, paid bill in full, got credit back, now debt collectors

Hi Optus, 

Last year I left Optus after quite a few years. We were massively in credit and Optus returned that credit. Around a month ago we got a letter stating we owed money and if we didn't pay it you guys would send debt collectors after us (final warning). Obviously you couldn't contact us because you shut down our email addresses and then didn't mail us until the final warning, nice. I immediately contacted Optus and cleared it up, we were never supplied a return satchel for the FetchTV box and I had forgotten about it because the box had been sitting in a drawer for 2 years unused. Your people told us they'd send a satchel out immediately and that the problem was fixed.

Well the problem is NOT fixed because that satchel never showed up and now your debt collectors are contacting us and demanding the outstanding money. Thanks for that. If someone from Optus could be so nice as to fix this up that would be great. We're happy to return your damn FetchTV box, we barely ever used it and as I said it was not used for at least 2 years. Just send us the damn Satchel like you said you were doing!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Disconnected, paid bill in full, got credit back, now debt collectors

Tell you what I'll do Optus, I'll take your obviously obsolete FetchTV box (this useless thing would be at least 5 years old btw) for a drive today to the nearest Optus store and see if those lads will actually help with this. Your system is hopeless, no reminder on leaving to return the box, no automatic satchel sent. Your live chat was useless, 1st person couldn't help with it and sent it to a 2nd who promptly disconnected the chat, 3rd said it was all sorted and a satchel was on its way. Email got no response, forum no response. Your debt collectors were right on the job though, props to them they know how to run a business! I'm expecting the Optus store to be unable to help today too so I'll then just ask the TIO if they can help. I was with Optus I think for over 10 years, only once did I have major issues where Telstra caused my internet to be out for over a month. I'd still be with Optus now if I wasn't limited to very poor ADSL here, and Optus was at the top of my list for NBN connections when we are connected soon, after this debacle though I'll just stick with Telstra, at least I know their service is garbage and I expect it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Ok I contacted you guys again and we are going to try yet another return satchel, this time I'm going to keep an eye on it and when it doesn't show up again I'll get onto you yet again about it. In the mean time I hope I don't get the heck beaten out of my by some burly blokes looking for a $200 debt... cheers Optus, always a pleasure, if I was a masochist. 

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@RealReaperHR, If at anytime you need a moderator to follow up for, we're always happy to do that.

You'll need to fill out the following template and send that through via PM.

Are you the primary account holder: Y/N

Your full name:

DOB:

Account number:

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

http://yesopt.us/pmshauna

http://yesopt.us/pmtoomey

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan, I'm not sure if that moderator contact information is easily available anywhere or I just as easily missed it. I tried to look through online users to see if there was a moderator available online to pm but couldn't work out an easy was to see if there was or how to contact them.

In relation to this topic, I begrudgingly used Live Chat yet again and was able to get someone who guaranteed this time the satchel would arrive and when it did I should immediately act on it and then notify Optus it was done. I also got a reply to the complaint email I lodged and replied to it last night also mentioning the Live Chat content. Quite obviously this whole situation is also part my fault, I should have remembered this FetchTV box on disconnection (leaving it in a drawer for at least 2 years didn't help) but Optus also should have immediately asked for it. On receiving the final warning and getting the satchel sent I then put it out of my mind as I thought there would be no problem once that satchel showed up. Again partly my fault as I should have realised it never arrived and gotten back onto Optus again. It is however not all my fault, Optus should have reminded on disconnection that the Fetch box needed to be returned, a satchel should have been automatically sent, since my account was now closed and emails shut down I would think reminders would automatically start coming by post but there was none until the final warning mail. 

Hopefully this new satchel will show up no problem within the next few days, but I have stated in both the Live Chat and return email that if it is not here by next Friday I will contact Optus again, obviously at this point there is no reason to contact the TIO and I am willing to keep trying to resolve this with Optus. I also offered to return it all to the local Optus store but was told that isn't an option, not sure how that can not be an option perhaps it's something Optus needs to look into in future for other customers. I am also willing to take a photo of the device to confirm it is in perfect condition so that Optus knows I am trying to return the damn thing and I don't want debt collectors chasing me for something that is useless to me and possibly hurting my credit rating. By the way this device is an M605T, I'm pretty sure it is completely obsolete by now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, I did link a few direct private message links above. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

Please let us know how it all goes @RealReaperHR. I'm hopeful that the satchel will arrive without a hiccup. 

We're always happy to help from our end. If you do need us to follow up on a request, we'll gladly do that for you 🙂 

If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor KarCav
Occasional Contributor

Sounds just like incompetent, don't care about loyal customers Optus. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Ah, I did link a few direct private message links above. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

That is what I was acknowledging Dan, was just saying that information should be easier to find on the site. Sorry, I should have made that clearer 😛 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@RealReaperHR, Ah, I getcha! 

All good 🙂 We'll chat again soon mate. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Just a quick update.

Received another threat from your debt collectors, pay within 72 hours or we'll wreck your credit rating.

Also have still not received the satchel as yet and I am expecting if it is not here by now then it has either not been sent or has been lost again, how this can happen twice and was never sent in the first place is beyond me but if nothing is done to fix this by Friday afternoon I'll be contacting the TIO. This has gone on long enough Optus, you are holding me underwater and telling me to just breath normally and ignore the water rushing into my lungs.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors