cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Contributor jimbo5
Contributor

Disconnect message scam

Hi l got a message on my landline phone saying my NBN connection would be disconnected within 24-48 hours and l need to press one to speak to a customer service represenative, l did'nt respond, l am fairly sure its a scam ,anyone else get this

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Disconnect message scam

It has been reported in the Press and is definitely a scam. NBN doesn't contact its users: only your RSP (Optus) does that. Only your RSP can disconnect you when you have changed to the NBN.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Almost certainly. The only other possibility is if the NBN arrived in your area a while ago and you have not signed up for it? 

Either way, if you wanted to confirm further always contact your RSP yourself by other means to talk about your account.

Peter Gillespie

Contributor jimbo5
Contributor

Thnaks , yes l rang optus and they said its a scam, it was a message left on my landline phone saying my internet service was going to be disconnected within 24-48 hours and if l have queries to press ' one ' on the phone to speak to a customer representive, lucky l did'nt press 1 to speak to the representative, would they have tried to get control of my computer , is that how the scam works? , l guess its a warning for people to be careful

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sounds like you were on top of it. Thanks for sharing the info for others.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos