cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Domingo
New Contributor

Disabling sagecom router login from outside

I have noticed that I can log into my sagecom f@st router from outside of my internal network.  This would not be so bad except that this is done using http protocol rather than https.  It seems that encrypted protocol is not supported.  The only sensible option is to DISABLE external access to the router.  Unfortunately I found no option in the config pages to do that.  Has anyone got any ideas?  As others have commented on this router, it really is a very useless device.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Disabling sagecom router login from outside

Without listing any of your personal IP address details, would you mind elaborating on the first sentence. Do you have a static IP external address for your WAN service for a hosting a Web server operating from your premises. To access a Modem's IP Address, normally you would be connected to it directly to it with a LAN cable, or through a Data Switch or via Wi-Fi - all options under your control with default or custom log-in and password control. 

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I found it unusual too. As a test can you turn off your mobile phone wifi and navigate to your modem login page from the phone browser?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Domingo
New Contributor

I don't have a static IP address, at least I have been informed that its not static.  Most convenient option to determine what it is is by going to https://api.ipify.org/.  I have just repeated the test with my laptop connected to my phone as wifi access point and now I realise that I must have been mistaken.  At the time I was under impression that I did have my laptop connected to my phone, something I do often, but in the test I just did, no external connection to my laptop could be established. I do realise that if connected to the router and attempting to access my wan IP, the router will save me the trouble and connect to it locally.

So, it was user error.  I should have made sure I was on the 'outside'.  My reason to acces my router from outside is so that I can access my old router that sits behind Optus router, configured within Optus router as a DMZ device.  There are too many config settings in my old router to migrate to new router, if that was possible, so I simply run two internal networks. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks for the update (you had us worried there for a moment)

Does the Sagecom allow portforwarding to the internal modem?

Can't speak to the other router settings but if you don't need the Optus Landline phone then you could do away with it entirely (as you say its not the best peice of equipment ever provided by an RSP)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

A bit ironic - had to search my Browser History to locate the page I thought lost in space. (If you are using Chrome, first log into Optus Crowd, then do Control+H for History and you may be lucky to find a lost Post for resubmission.)

Domingo - I just read your post and was about to hit upload my reply to Peter's post, so glad all is good with you.

Peter -  there are a few things at play in your scenario which I have replicated. The Sagemcom modem has no Log-Off button to exit the System Info or Advanced Settings Screens, and like all web pages,  if you close the browser, that page is copied and still resident in the browser cache unless you clear it immediately or regularly clear the cache before you next try to access the modem. 

Never having used my iPhone to access the Sagemcom Modem before, I attempted to do this from the 3G setting, Safari could not find the server - expected outcome.  I then activated a Wi-Fi link in the iPhone and connected it to the modem's Advanced Settings screens with User ID and Password then shut down the browser window , turned OFF Wi-Fi and then attempted to connect to 192.168.0.1 again via the 3G.  I got challenged with the Advanced Settings Log-In screen for my credentials per your post, entered the information and it just hangs because I am not actually connected to it.  I then 'Cleared History and Website Data' which clears the Cache and then got the same error I had on first attempt, no Log-In screen invitation this time, just - 'Safari could not open the page because the server stopped working' - an expected outcome. 

There is no chance of anyone hacking into the modem using the 192.168.0.1 address, unless they also know its WAN IP address and were enlightened with high level skills that could qualify them for membership of nominal white hat organisations such as the NSA and the Australian Signals Directorate or were inside the network. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Curious - Is there an entry in WAN IP4 Address line within the Device Info page of the Sagemcom router or is it blanked out. Mine is not connected to the Internet.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Peter - I replicated your condition. I think this happens due to the browser cache keeping a copy of the previous log-in page and  it disappears when you clear the cache. I previously created a more lengthly reply, posted it, then retrieved it to edit a spelling mistake which was successful and thought I hit the Post button, but with my fumble fingers, it appears to be lost in space. Maybe it will come out of the Ether one day. 

New Contributor Domingo
New Contributor

I have not tried it but there is a page to do port forwarding. I just found it more convenient to configure a DMZ machine (my old router).  In this case anything the Sagecom is not configured to handle directly (ie forward to a local IP) will be forwarded to DMZ computer.  My Asus RT-N16 does warn me that I have a non-routable IP address on its WAN side but still works as if it has a public WAN IP address. The Sagecom was configured to assign a local lan IP address to Asus WAN port based on Asus WAN Mac address.

BTW, in my previous post, the statement "no external connection to my laptop could be established" should have said "no external connection to my Sagecom router could be established".

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Great info @Mkrtich  (and glad you found the previous post).

One of the reasons I like to post here is you learn a lot testing out other peoples problems.

Peter Gillespie