Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
marker61
New Contributor
New Contributor

Differing broadband bandwidths

I have 2 Optus 4g wireless broadband services at home. One is an uncapped service that is ex-Vivid Wireless now fully transferred to Optus and the other is capped at 500gb. The first service provides speeds of 11mbit/1mbit whilst the other provides 65mbit/10mbit.

As both services use Optus 4g sims, I do not understand why there is such an order of magnitude difference, other than perhaps Optus is throttling back the uncapped service. I do not wish to take this to the Ombudsman if this matter can be satisfactorily resolved.

Many thanks and regards
Mark
0 Kudos
5 Replies
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Differing broadband bandwidths

Because thats the limitation of the plans - plain and simple.
You will NOT get uncapped speed and unlimited data - the vividwireless customers were moved over to plans with the same speed limitations, thus why a difference in the two.
0 Kudos
marker61
New Contributor
New Contributor

I’m not asking for unlimited speed. I’m paying a higher price for the speed limited uncapped data service than the non-speed limited capped data service. Optus chooses not to provide its customers who cannot and never will have nbn access with an uncapped data wireless broadband service. It’s nonsensical to have this disparate strategy, especially when consumers are offered such a narrow range of non-NBN alternatives. And this equally applies to other Australian carriers.
0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

They dont offer those ex vividwireless plans to new customers at all.
Optus offers unlimited data on their newish 5g home offering.

I dont know what yo think the issue is.
If you dont like a product you dont have to sign up for it.
None of the ex-vividwireless customers are under contract anymore.
0 Kudos
marker61
New Contributor
New Contributor

The issue is simple. Optus can provide an uncapped wireless broadband service - I have one. They can also provide a wireless broadband service that doesn’t have a speed limiter on it - I have one of those too. They just aren’t the same service. Happy to pay Optus a fair price for that which I and other consumers wish to have. Technically possible but simply not offered. Clear enough?
0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Because mobile spectrum is limited.
Vividwireless unlimited plans ONLY operate/operated where Optus had 2300Mhz 4g (most capital cities)
Optus 200/500Gb plans operate anywhere Optus has 4g.
Huge difference.
0 Kudos