Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Did the store sales man cheat on me?

I've visited at Optus shop in Wollongong central last Friday, and was seeking suitable broadband plan.

And I chose month to month wireless broadband,

and at the final stage the sales man offered first 3 months free if I chose 24 months contract.

That's why I changed my mind to 24 months contract from month to month.

I checked the contract document and there was nothing about free offer.

So, I asked him to write on the contract, and he did.

Today I chatted Optus customer service team to make sure the offer,

but Optus service agent said they couldn't find that option so they can't help me.

I don't care they are Optus's direct staffs or indirect, I just believed they are working in Optus official store wearing Optus shirts.

Is it what Optus way to guide their sales man and stores to make selling?

Sales man can give unauthorized verbal commitment to customers

and customers have to solve this kind of problem by themselves 

because they are not authorized by Optus HQ?

How chatting agent can answer like "You have to visit the store and solve the problem by yourself."?

If I can't get support from Optus customer support about buying products from Optus named store.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Did the store sales man cheat on me?

It appears you have signed up for this plan. (Check with Optus on the Plan ID: 604151)

You may have misheard or the sales man may have misspoke but its not the first three months free. Its just three months free (in the form of a $10 discount every month for 24 months (refer plan details above). 

Legally Optus stores are still responsible for the product they sell you and if the product doesn't match the description sold then it is the stores responsibility to  refund or repair it. That said, in most cases, sorting a problem will be faster dealing with Optus direct.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I was my friend and and we asked several times to confirm.

And he wrote the confirmation in writing on the contract paper.

We didn't mishear or misunderstand.

In my opinion if it was sales man's mistake, Optus has to keep the promise to customer.

20171027_153700.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The sales man clearly said $70 / month and giving first 3 months free.

I am living in Lindfield , 

are you still ask me to come down to Wollongong to cancel this contract?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There's space for missunderstanding there. Did he say $70 per month which is 3 months free?

Looking at your contract its actually not possible to make out the number 3. It reads "First Month Free" (with the t being scribbled)

I'm not doubting your impression of the transaction and perhaps the sales guy got some instructions mixed up where he was told to tell everyone about the $10 discount which is "like" 3 months free.

End of the day is $70 a month a deal you want? If not then the contract you have that says the first month is free should allow you to cancel the deal (or Optus will honour it for an effective rate of $77 per month.

You can cancel you contract with Optus over the phone. I'm just saying you can also cancel the contract with the store in question if you want.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

As you can see his writing confirmation, he wrote "the first months" which is prural and he never mentioned about $10 d/c for 24 months but he said $70 per month and the first 3 minths free. That's why I changed my mind from month to month plan. 

I and my friend asked him "the first 3 months free" at least 3 times. I am not really matter I got the first 3 months free. I just angry about your sales man's cheating on customer.

I want your HQ to give warning to the shop and the sales man, so they never cheat on other customers for this kind of sales activity again.

I will close this case if you give warning to them or Optus give me the first 3 months free and $70 per month as his verbal commitment.

If you won't do anything, I will raise this issue to other customer care like ACCC.

Or Optus

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'm not Optus. Just a fellow customer.

The written comment is very ambiguous. English appears to be a second language for you? I can easily see a sales person trying to explain the deal in different terms. 

Its $70 a month

That's $10 off a month of our usual price

That's like 3 month free?

I get 3 months free? 

Well yes. Only $70 a month

etc.

Its good feed back. Keeping eager sales staff in check is definitely a challange for any big organisation. And yes some staff no doubt bend and even break the truth in securing a deal. IMO Optus should create a standard form that is filled out at the end of every successful sale. It should include only the headline items of the deal. Both parties sign it. If the plan that ends up doesn't match the form then the choice is for Optus to either match the deal or cancel the deal.

1. Plan: Mobile Phone

2. Contract Length: 24 months

3. Total Monthly Contract Cost:$1200

4. Average monthly payment (3 divided  by 2) = $50

etc. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

He said...

$70 month / 24months contract

But we chose month to month because we didn't want to lock in.

Once he came back from back office, he said his manager offered first 3 months free.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Fair enough. 

All sales people want to get you on a contract. Price quoted was $70 for the contract. Usually going month to month costs more. Yet your sales person came back and offered you a further three months free instead.

Ultimately the numbers stack up. The deal you have is effectively a "3 months free" deal, just not the first  three months. Possibly the sales guy made a mistake. Possibly you misunderstood. Possibly the sales guy cheated you. 

IMO you're not going to get a $70 a month plan with the first 3 months free. Its possible you can exit your contract if you want?

Regards 

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

Hi @Jane0615, really sorry for the delay in getting back to you and your experience at the store. Were you able to speak to someone in this regards since posting? Please PM us → here your home phone number / account number, full name and date of birth if you still need help so that I can investigate this further. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos