cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor JanD
New Contributor

Did Optus upgrade its HFC network recently?

I am able to get my base plan speeds of 30Mbps DL and 2Mbps UL after the last HFC outage in the Laverton and Altoina areas.   

I this upgrade in preparation for the NBN?

Why would they upgrade the HFC network in areas that are not destined for NBN HFC? 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Did Optus upgrade its HFC network recently?

I'm glad you're getting the top speeds you are on. 

However the Optus network is due to be torn down in the next year or two - the NBN are only using the telstra HFC network.

So no work is being done to improve it. 

The NBN HFC foot print has been in flux for many months now. Apparently tomorrow NBN will be releasing a big update to what areas will get what technologies in the end. So don't trust any data up till this point.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I'm of the opinion that Optus will upgrade their HFC area's however their thresholds have moved now since NBN purchased their network. Before the sale, they might upgrade an area when it was at 65% capacity (I'm making these numbers up) but now they don't want to spend money where they can help it so instead they'll wait till 95%. 

You might have been lucky and Optus were desperate enough to upgrade your area to try and stop customers leaving. 

Or I could be completely wrong and something totally different is happening in your area. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@SamSam,

Possibly, but Optus are unlikely to spend $10,000s of dollars adding capacity just to fit a couple more households paying $100 a month. There isn't any actual 'capacity' to the cable an I'd suspect Optus are just moving anyone on to their network and watching the peak hour congestion slowly increase for all users. They know most will stay put until the NBN arrives. This would be more in line with various posts noting that cable speeds have deteriorated over the past year. 

@JanD seems to be thelucky exception. Maybe a few UHD Netflix addicts moved into another suburb and freed up the bandwidth?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos