Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Matt-Airactive
Occasional Contributor

Desperately need to retain Email Address

Hello!

I have been an Optus cable, optus foxtel, optus mobile customer for over a decade.  Loyal to a fault, it's just that we could no longer justify Foxtel, and we have connected to NBN with another carrier after Optus/NBN messed us around earlier in the year (yes, we were going to get NBN with Optus as well).  Of note, I still have an active mobile account, and will be keeping this.

I wish to disconnect my cable broadband, but need to retain a very old, and very used email address.  Business critical, you might say.

I went to an Optus Shop today, and after talking to customer support over the phone, and explaining the critical importance of keeping this email address (and the fact I had a mobile account), I was told *catgorically* that I could have the email address moved to my mobile account.  I was also told I am NOT eligible for T90...

Now all of this sounded fine, except that reading here, I'm not so sure this is possible...

Can an email address be associated with a mobile account?

I was told that I'd need to disconnect the Cable Plan, then *immediately* call the Mobile Team to get them to associate the email address to the Mobile account, but I'm pretty nervous that this won't be possible.  The guy I spoke to on the phone said things like "I'm not sure the email address will be available" and so forth.  I sought clarification on this, and I think what he was saying was that once I was cut off, somebody else could take my email address from me, and there'd be nothin I could do, given I had no T90..

If anyone can offer some advice or enlightenment, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers, Matt.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Desperately need to retain Email Address

Well from the many posts I have read it is possible to have an email address associated with a mobile. I'm not entirely sure of the process however I know it can be done. Might pay to have another word with support as they do have a tendency to give conflicting answers.

Contributor RastaHTC
Contributor

Never rely on ISP email for starters.  Start migrating to an independent provider (gmail, fastmail etc).  Most ISP providers will retain your email address for a year after disconnection and then charge to keep it.  Not 100% sure on Optus policy though sorry.  I have kept my other email addresses from other providers after disconnecting long ago fyi.  ISP's are not very efficient as you would know, so start migrating now by forwarding your ISP mail to another independent provider.  As they would just need you to keep your account open, buy a SIM (linked to your account) for 1 month as you migrate over.

Occasional Contributor

This is great news - thanks Yeldarb!  Gives me some hope..  If connecting Email ==> Mobile service is not possible, do you know if attaching Email ==> Prepaid Mobile Broadband is possible?  I can get a $130 recharge for 365 days, which should give me enough time to extract my life from this email address!

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks RastaHTC: The whole purpose of retaining this email address is to extract myself from it after > 15 years, and go to a gmail addy.  Yes, like many others, made the mistake of using an ISP domain address, and will now pay for that!

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Oddly enough another person has asked a similar question on the forum a few hours after you and I'm in the process of answering that one as well. From what I understand you can transfer or associate your email address with your mobile phone however I don't believe a prepaid service qualifies. I will try and find the post I read on this subject from an Optus staff member as I am not entirely sure on the details and I could be wrong.

Occasional Contributor

That would be fantastic Yeldarb, and greatly appreciated!  I'm at a losss with conflicting information, so if you have access to something solid, I'd love to hear it.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Ok I see several posts where I have said you may be able to transfer your email address to a mobile phone and in these same posts an Optus staff member has said all you need is an active service. This may have lead me to believe that what I was saying was correct when in fact it may not have been. Having the Optus store tell you categorically that it can be done just deepens the mystery.

What I do know for sure is you can purchase a minimum mobile broadband service for say $15 a month and transfer your email account to that. Because you can data pool you don’t even need to use a modem as the data can be used on your mobile phone. Unfortunately there are as many post saying you can use a prepaid mobile broadband service as there are saying that it has to be post-paid. Not wanting to give you any further conflicting information I will simply say I do not know what answer is correct. I must say that either way there is not going to be a huge amount of difference in cost.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If you're fast (like today) then this Optus flash sale is good value IMO. Although are we talking Mobile Broadband or Mobile?

NB. I believe your email account remains live for 9? weeks after you close your account. I'm not sure if this means you can still access it or just that if you rejoin Optus during that period you can have it back. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes that is an excellent deal but he needs a mobile broadband account. I did read that the email account stays active for 3 months however I did not wish to post any more information unless I knew it was accurate.