cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Desperately need to retain Email Address

Regarding the 90 day retention, I have been told I am definitely NOT eligible for that. 

This is for customers who are moving house, for example, and are intending to re-contract with Optus. 

We are saying bye bye forever from an internet point of view, so the "T90" does not apply to us.  If we cancel our cable plan without something else in place, then email address will be lost forever.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well the good news is you can keep your email address providing you have a data service to transfer it to. Might pay at this stage to have a word with support again and ask them if it needs to be a prepaid or a post-paid service. 

Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Really appreciate your input here, Yeldarb.  I suppose my Mobile Phone plan may technically include a "data plan" of some kind.  I'll be calling them again later (Optus), so I'll update here, and hopefully some definitive answers can be made in this thread for future customers who have the same issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes a mobile phone has data but it's not classified as a mobile broadband account. All I am saying in my previous post is if they require you to have a mobile broadband account to retain your email you don't need to worry about a mobile broadband device as the data can be pooled and used on your mobile phone. Hopefully an Optus staff member will be looking over this post and will set the record straight. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So here's the good and the bad news.  I just called Optus Mobile Technical Support, same people as yesterday, and was told the complete opposite.  The folks in the Optus Retail store gave me a different set of information.

Yesterday (Tech Support) - CANNOT copnnect to a Prepaid BB service (MUST be a Post-Billed BB service), but CAN connect to my Mobile Phone service.  Word "categorically" was literally used.

Yesterday (Optus Store): CANNOT copnnect to a Prepaid BB service (MUST be a Post-Billed BB service).  CANNOT connect to a Mobile Phone service.

Today: CAN connect to a Prepaid Mobile BB service (or a Post-Paid/Billed account), CANNOT connect to a Mobile Phone service.  In fact, the guy today went so far as to say that for people wanting to keep their email addresses, getting a Prepaid BB service is the sanctioned/recommended pathway.  He seemed quite confident about this, but then again, so did the guy yesterday who said the complete opposite.

So I've ordered a $0 SIM, and when it arrives, I will recharge it with $80 for 186 days, which might be enough time to unwind the email address (but I can extend if I need to via recharge).

Then, according to the guy today:

a) I am to activate the sim when it arrives (important), and purchase the recharge amount I require.

b) Disconnect the Cable Internet service and request a T90 due to the fact I am moving the email address to another Optus service. EDIT: I have read further, and apparently you must be absolutely sure this has been done.  Others report their email accounts going "missing", and support give them "Oops!  Sorry..." type of responses.  Your email will be dead and irrecoverable if Optus do not correctly process the T90 form.

c) Call 131344 for Mobile Technical Support, provide SIM Service Number, along with my email address, and ask for the email address to be linked to the new Prepaid BB Service

d) Also ask to have the new Prepaid BB Service itself to be linked to my Mobile Phone Plan, so I can access usage etc via my "My Optus" credentials.  All services will be under the one account then.

Leap of faith, due to massively conflicting information, but I'm going to follow the path above.

Hope this information is helpful to others.  Of course, you do not need to pay $80 for 6 months of life on the recharge - choose from the lower priced options for shorter periods as you require.  Also, you cannot get a T90 to keep your email acive for 90 days after you disconnect your internet plan unless you are moving to another Optus service - that is unless you get very nice and very lucky with whomever you speak to on the day.  From what I have read, you must request the T90 processing.

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @Matt-Airactive, If you're switching from Optus to another Internet service provider we'll keep your email address active for up to 90 days after your disconnection. If you'd like to retain your email address then we would need you to sign up to a prepaid mobile broadband service. We'll then be able to attach the username to that service. The advice you received on Wednesday is correct. You'd need to recharge the service with the minimum required recharge.

The expiry date is dependant on the amount you choose to recharge. A recharge of $80.00 will keep your email address active for 186 days. The email address & prepaid service number would expire 6 months after the expiry of your last recharge. Feel free to send us a PM with your account details. We can always follow up on this one and ensure that your existing email address is attatched to your new prepaid mobile broadband service. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much @Dan_C.  Your response has helped me be sure of the right approach, after some misinformation.  My $0 SIM should arrive tomorrow, and I'll then activate and recharge it and call Mobile Technical Support on 131344.  Please let me know (if you see this) if this is the correct Dept to contact.  I also assume I must cancel the cable service and request a T90 before trying to get the email address linked to the prepaid service (?)

Oh, and sorry for the tardy reply, but I'm married to a Richmond supporter, and spent far too long in the inner suburbs yesterday... #gotiges

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Matt-Airactive,

Hi Matt. Hit the @ symbol and select a name in your post. That person will be notified you mentioned them in a thread.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

@Matt-Airactive.  In the time it has taken for responses on here, you could have opened a new mail account, emailed all clients/recipients of new address change, emailed a second time in case some didn't read it.  Also forward any incoming mail to new address and emailed again about address change, just in case.  Incoming mail will still go to your address....start changing to third party mail right now.  Then once you have new email address, send out courtesy email again to advise of address change.  Happens all the time, people will just update their contact info.  Good luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately @RastaHTC, it is nowhere near as simple as you make it sound.  This email address is involved in so many subscruiptions, memberships, logins (need to change for PW resets etc), purchased products, store accounts etc that it will indeed take me 6-9 months to extract myself - of course, I could spend several days on end with no sleep, but that's unproductive, and I feel it's better to progressively work through it over time.  I expect I'll receive emails I'd forgotten about, but that are still important etc.  So yep, mail forwarding is important, but so is keeping the original account intact for a period of time.

I just checked - email address is just under 16 years old.

My main concern all along here, I'm sure you can agree, is losing the email account due to Optus muckups, not the process of unwinding the account - I'm resigned to that..

Yes, I've emailed my contacts already..

0 Kudos