Searching...

Deplorable ADSL speed

G0tchas

I've been with Optus for almost a year now and the ADSL speeds are deplorable. I used to be a Telstra customer, but switched over to Optus because of Telstra's bad service and regular mistakes on my account. That said, at least I got reliable ADSL internet. On Optus, only 1 device in the house can be on the on the internet at a time. If any more devices use the internet, the connection is the equivalent to good old Dial-Up speeds. Two divices (1 PC and the Optus Fetch TV Settop box) are connected via ethernet. All the other devices (1 PC, 2 mobile phones) connect via Wi-Fi. I'm a regular MMO player, but at times I have to give up because the lag is around 1000+ ms. We can't even watch YouTube and Netflix at the same time. It's one of the other. What the heck is going on here? I have rebooted the Optus-provided modem several times over the last year, but that made no difference. I've run speedtest and results vary but I never get download speeds higher than 4Mbps or upload speeds higher than 1 Mbps. Is Optus's ADSL just bad or is there something wrong with my connection to their ADSL network? I have another year left on my contract, but if this doesn't improve drastically, I'm seriously considdering switching back to Telstra when my contract ends.

Re: Deplorable ADSL speed

AlexRH

Hey @G0tchas, really sorry that you've had issues with your speed Smiley Sad I do get that it would be frustrating and impacting your day to day life.

Just to clarify, was that speed test via Ethernet or WiFi?

Are you finding that it's slower of an evening or during the day as well? 

Happy to chase up any fault ref #'s you may have! Alternatively, you can chat with our Faults team on 13 13 44. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

G0tchas

This speed test was done over ethernet. Time of day/week doesn't matter. My speeds are worse than ADSL and I'm supposed to be on ADSL2. At the moment I get better internet on my mobile plan.

Toomey

If you're mobile is on 4G then you will likely get speeds faster than most fixed lines in Australia. 4G is awesome, but more expensive than home internet. Optus have a Home Wireless Broadband plan that is a great alternative to those who don't get great fixed line speeds. Check it out here

Check out this YesCrowd article too, it's god some handy information on what affects your ADSL speeds.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

G0tchas

That's all fine and well, but how reliable is wireless going to be for watching Netflix on my Optus Fetch TV Setttop Box? I'm paying for ADSL2 speeds and expect to at least get reasonable speeds, not slighly higher than dial-up, barely ADSL1 speeds.

G0tchas

I've just run a speedtest again, downloading a 500 MB update to one of my games and watching a YouTube video at the same time. On Telstra this wasn't a problem at all. But on Optus my YouTube plays for 5 seconds, then buffers (and I'm watching at 480p). This my speedtest results: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6070391085. Optus can expect a call from a very unhappy customer tomorrow.

Pete

Argh, I can confirm Yes TV isn't compatible with Home Wireless. So I can look into this a little further, could you please PM me through your full name, d/o/b and home number or OptusNet username?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
85 Kudos
80 Kudos
64 Kudos
35 Kudos
34 Kudos