Searching...
Accepted Solution

Debt summons for Optus and no account held!

LeeBar

Can anyone help me as I can find no support numbers on Optus to contact when you don't hold an account with them

Letter received from StretenMasons Lawyers on behalf of Commerical Credit Control Pty Ltd

Legal proceedings threat for payment of an account with Optus.  I don't have an account with Optus???

What do I do?  Can someone help or have had a similar experience?

Don't even know if it is related to phone, nbn or internet!

Solution

Re: Debt summons for Optus and no account held!

Yeldarb

Did you have service with Optus at one stage? You can try asking accounts and billing on the live chat link below however it might be something that needs to be asked during normal business hours.

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

Solution

petergdownload

If debt collectors are involved then its likely Optus has sold the debt to a third party (StreetMasons?) for cents on the dollar and they're now looking to recover the amount. Optus would have no control over the debt in this situation.

Your first action should be to find out what the debt is. Simplest way to do this is to contact StretenMasons and request all details for the debt (When, Where, What, Who, etc.). They have pretty strict legal requirements for providing this information on request. They can't just say you owe us so pay up. On no account agree to any repayment at this first stage.

You should also check your national credit rating as this debt would be listed on it. Its a free check (although many websites try make you pay) See here for info on how.

Hopefully its just an address / name match up but its possible someone did ID theft on you and ordered something without your knowledge. But first up get the details of what is actually being asked for (like you are trying to do)

Peter Gillespie

LeeBar

Thanks for this information.  I will try with the lawyers first as I won't be paying for anything I know nothing about!  No prior correspondance which is shocking!

I will also look into the credit check (without paying for it)

Thanks for your advice and guidance.

Solution

LeeBar

I will try that avenue thanks.  I couldn't even find this link so your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

10000000000GB

If you have a common name, they might be confusing you with someone else

Zac_D

Hi @LeeBar,

Thanks for reaching out and thanks to others for contributing in this thread.

I can imagine that this was incredibly worrying to receive, we will do our best to assist and provide guidance for you.

On the Debt collection notice, there should have been an account number listed as a "reference" number.

Please send us a PM Including:

Full name: 

DOB:

Account number in question:

I'd also suggest you look at our Identity Theft process here as this may be the method we need to go down to investigate this further.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Danny17

Hi LeeBar,

I have exactly the same problem as you. May I know whether you have resolved the issue.

Regards

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
75 Kudos
52 Kudos
50 Kudos
30 Kudos
20 Kudos