cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Data usage on wireless broad band not matching what Google Mesh is telling me.

Hi All

I have 2 Wireless broad band accounts and find the data usage measured by either Google Mesh or  Optus to be massively different. 

I only use the Optus Wireless for my internet and use google mesh in the house for my wireless LAN. 

I live on acreage so no external/unkown users logged in and password is changed weekly. We have no devices connected directly to the modem all devices are connected to the google mesh. My Optus wireless is showing 425 gig used for the month yet Mesh is showing 300 Gig. which one is correct? I cannot believe that we have such a massive difference between the 2 devices.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Data usage on wireless broad band not matching what Google Mesh is telling me.

@Fishmatics wrote:

I have 2 Wireless broad band accounts

If you have two wireless accounts they will both have their own independent usage.

You will definitely have different usages patterns between the devices, so you can't compare the value of one account with that of the other.

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Data usage on wireless broad band not matching what Google Mesh is telling me.

Thanks for the reply, the difference is on one of the broadband accounts. I do not have both operating at the same location. It is an irrelevant fact that i have 2 accounts as the run at different locations.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Fishmatics wrote:

the difference is on one of the broadband accounts.

I do not have both operating at the same location. It is an irrelevant fact that i have 2 accounts as the run at different locations.

Two thaoughs then:

1) Does the mesh also count uploads (not that that would normally make such big difference).

2) Are you comparing the exact same period for both Optus and the mesh. Optus would be recording say 20 March - 19 April, but the mesh, I'm guessing, would default to calendar month, which is a different period.

It is an irrelevant fact that i have 2 accounts as the run at different locations.

Well, not when you state:

I have 2 Wireless broad band accounts and find the data usage measured by either Google Mesh or  Optus to be massively different.

Which implied it is relevant, otherwise why bother mentioning that there are 2 account at all.

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply YAA

I have totaled uploads and downloads for both the Mesh and Optus Modem and I am comparing total data usage. One device is saying 300 Gig (Google Mesh) and the Optus Modem is saying total usage 425Gig

Yes Same period being compared, I am comparing the billing period with the last 30 days usage on the Google Mesh (The Mesh offers a 30 day period and not calendar month).

Please accept my apology, it had no relevance to what my issue is. I merely mentioned to show that I am not a noob with these things.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Fishmatics wrote:

the Optus Modem is saying total usage 425Gig

So if the Optus modem says that, what does the online data usage report (I assume wireless broadband does have online data usage stats)?

I'm on fixed line NBN, and I just looked at my last 22 day usage and compared what my router reports (absolutely everything goes through it) and what Optus online reports, and overall there is 10% dependency, with my router reporting that its uploading/downloading 10% more data then Optus has reporting as been used.

Whats strange is that my router in general reports that I download more then Optus says, but that I upload less then Optus says, so the discrepancy goes both ways. My individual day discrepancy has been as high as 106%.

Bottom line is there will always be some discrepancy for various reasons, but who knows what is supposed to be correct.

Of course, because you are billed based on what Optus reports that is what you have to pay attention to.

0 Kudos