Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor jww289
Occasional Contributor

Data Pool

Would someone kindly explain to me why I can not data pool my post paid mobile and Wireless home broadband ........ I am told that if I changed my Wireless home broadband to mobile broadband it would be possible, however the equivalent mobile broadband service is much more expensive; have I just answered my own question ???

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Data Pool

Data pooling is only between mobile phone plans.

Yes you have answered your own question 🐵

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Mobile (including Mobile Broadband) 🙂 Similar products, one intended for home and one that's portable.

Difference between Wireless & Mobile Broadband

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

obile (including Mobile Broadband) 📷 Similar products, one intended for home and one that's portable.

If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor jww289
Occasional Contributor

Thanks dan, I do know the difference between MBB and WHBB the question was what is the rational behind this ?? After all it is the 21st century so I don’t think it would be a technical issue .... obviously a grab for money or not understanding customers requirements, typical of the business model now days.
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

It's an alternative to a Fixed Broadband service.

It comes down to the bandwidth contention ratio. There's X capacity and X users.

The allowance given to customers is calculated based on expected usage and existing capacity. We don't expect that all customers will use the entire 200GB or 500GB allowance, especially at the same time of day. 

If customers could share data included in their Wireless Broadband plan, usage would skyrocket. That's going to negatively impact our Wireless Broadband customers. 

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"what is the rational behind this ?? After all it is the 21st century so I don’t think it would be a technical issue"

It is technical. In general the two types of data are very differently priced per Gb. IMO Optus probably give too much data to home broadband users but in practice people wouldn't by it unless it had 100-200gb of data for a fairly low cost. Making that cheap data available to many other mobile users would put a lot more stress on the network.

As it is though, data pooling is probably of less value to the customer these days with the Optus new plan pricing. Getting a 10Gb and 60Gb plan to share only saves you $10 over two 120Gb plans.

Peter Gillespie