Searching...

Data Error, Charged while modem switched off

ombudsman

Hi,  When doing our daily check on our data usage a few days ago we noticed we were down to our last approx 480mb for the month so we switched off our modem and started using our prepaid backup modem on another network. We then received several emails the next day saying that we had gone over our data limit and would be charged $40 in total for 4gb extra usage.

I checked the Dashboard at the time while still using the other modem and it clearly showed we hadn't gone over.  

How can it now show approx 4gb of data usage during the time the modem was off.??

This is almost 4 times our average daily usage and clearly an optus technical glitch

Can someone please remove this data anomoly from our account, as we're not paying for data we haven't used.

I've tried contacting via facebook with no response, my next option is to go to the ombudsman

Re: Data Error, Charged while modem switched off

Yeldarb

Is it possible that you had used that data up to 48 hours prior? I do believe the delay in the data usage meter often leaves you thinking you have data left when you don’t.

ombudsman

Definately not the case as I tightly monitor my usage and the extra data usage has a time stamp.  They pretend that they can't give up to date usage stats which is complete nonsense as they do it for prepaid customers, it's just their way of ripping of customers, as they've not replied to any messages I'll be going to the ombudsman 

petergdownload

Facebook and this forum aren't suitable places to get official responses. 

Have you called the customer service number? Have you tried live chat? Both are probably a bit iffy over the Anzac weekend but should be back fully on Wednesday. NB the ombudsman's first question is have you done a formal complaint to Optus using the Optus complaint form? 

Optus (and all Telcos) do mention a possible lag in data reporting but IME now days that's largely irrelevant. They'll SMS you within 30 minutes of hitting a limit (50%, 90% and 100%).

Obviously something has gone arwry here, but you should contact Optus to discus the specifics.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Sam_D

Hey there @ombudsman, while we do our best to get back to everyone as soon as possible there may be delays between replies. Our Social Media channels along with this forum are monitored by the same team so cross posting between threads can prevent us from getting back to you within a timely manner. For urgent enquiries it's best to chat with our Live Chat team here or over the phone on 133937. 

You're welcome to send me a PM with your full name, DOB and account number so I can take a look at your data reporting, however as I mentioned above delays may be expected. 

ombudsman

Hi

I've already used live chat and was told that it wouldn't appear on my bill yet it has, I kept a copy of the live chat for reference.

Calling gets an overseas call centre that's useless, and you don't then have a proper record of the call without making your own recording.

Social media contact methods such as Facebook and Twitter don't comply with Australian Privacy laws as personal gets stored on an overseas server, which is something that Optus is supposed to alert customers to prior to starting any social conversation with them.

The best method seems to be going to the Ombudsman, which I have now done, and recommend others to do until Optus provide a proper complaints handling system.

petergdownload

FWIW the privacy laws only seem to require Optus to safeguard info they have gathered not be passed onto third parties without sufficient privacy protections OR explicit user consent. 

But if users use a comminication channel that has its own privacy terms and conditions (i.e. Facebook) then the user has already explicitly agreed with Facebook Inc that any information they provide will be subject to international privacy terms. Optus is not  (and can not) be responsible for how that information is used. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

petergdownload

Any way you can check you PC / modem records/logs to see what was being downloaded at the times you mention? Look at browser history? Check if any big files are in the download folder? Do the modem logs show when it was off and on? How much data it has processed?

It may just be more hassle than its worth though and as you say the ombudsman can sort it out. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

Aman_B

My sincere apologies @ombudsman for the inconvenience caused. I totally understand your concern and frustration with this. Since the enquiry has already been escalated to TIO a case manager will be in contact with you in the given time frame.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
87 Kudos
80 Kudos
63 Kudos
36 Kudos
35 Kudos