Searching...
Highlighted

DSL Drop outs

MonsterOfCookie

Hi,

I had my DSL activated 3 days ago and recieved the DSL router/modem yesterday. Yesterday the internet was awesome, 5Mb down, 800Kb up - Solid performance. But this morning I wake up to find the DSL connection dropping out, barely connecting for longer than 10 minutes.

I have power cycled the router/modem and reduced my devices to just my laptop on Ethernet. Initially thought it was my Nexus tablet causing the DSL to drop, but now it just happens now.

How can I get my connection checked?

Cheers

James

Re: DSL Drop outs

jabbajaws77

Hey James

Drop outs could be caused by a line fault, faulty filters/sockets/cables and even a faulty modem

I would suggest you follow this Troubleshooting Guide as this will take you through the most common issues

If you are unable to rectify it this way then you will need to contact Optus for them to check the line etc from their end

All the best, let us know how you get on

Jabba

* Don't forget to mark the post that solves your query and give Kudos for helpful comments Smiley Happy

Jabba

* Don't forget to mark the post that solves your query and give Kudos for helpful comments Smiley Happy

Ryan

Be sure to let us know how you get on with this MonsterofCookie.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

MonsterOfCookie

Hi Ryan,

I called the tech support line. I have had the line checked and it appears to pass ok. Since the phone call I have had 0 drop outs - Smiley Happy 

However, I was told I should be expecting speeds between 7-10Mb but currently only getting 2Mb.

I was told an engineer was going to arrange a visit. But I am yet to receive a call about this. As we have paid out for the Optus TV package, I feel 2Mb is not going to be anywhere near enough for the HD content.

What can I do next?

Tom

Hmm, your speed profile may have been changed in order to stabilise the connection - as this is sometimes done when dropouts are happening. If you call our team again on 131344 - they can check this aspect right away.

With the speed too - you are seeing this during the day too, or it was at night when you were seeing this speed?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

MonsterOfCookie

Hi Tom,

I have an Optus engineer coming out next Tuesday. The speed remains constant through out the day.

Cheers

James

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
74 Kudos
53 Kudos
38 Kudos
25 Kudos