cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Contributor naik_michel
Contributor

DONT BUY OPTUS NBN! SO SLOW !

Hey guys,

I've upgraded to NBN from ADSL in december 2016. ADSL download Speed was around 15mpbs download.

Then I upgraded to NBN 25mbps pland and download speed was even lower at 5-10mpbs!

So a few days later I upgraded again and changed modem (made sure it was on the most optimized WiFi channel (with Optus tech support) and in the center of Sydney City zipcode 2000 (World Square) i was only getting 65mpbs out of the 100mbps promise on contract. Barely half for $145/month! Great rip off they have  for only 2/3 of performance!

Spent countless hours on the phone with them, new modem and everything.... it's still crap! Such a rip off this company!

The maximium speed is 65MB on a 100/MB line in the middle of sydney...when it's really early in the morning.

in 2017, Rarely hits that number...now its 10-15 MB download speed...on 100Mbps connection at 8-9pm on sunday night. 

Yea on the phone they will tell me all their excuses, network is busy and all, but can't even stream Netflix or YouTube properly without buffering every 5 seconds on 100mbps connection. I think im going back to ADSL on Telstra or a reliable company. Optus is terrible !

PROOF:

Speedtest: http://beta.speedtest.net/results?sh=0d7d110f28ec9567d071fc6263b8dc2c

OPTUS Speedtest tonight 8pm:

PS: They will find all the excuses they have in their books to keep you with their service which is crap like:

1) Are you connected through "Ethernet " > Who the hell uses ethernet these days, most computers, macbook, tablets and iphones haven't had those ethernet ports in 15 years

2) How long is your modem line from phone plug > mine is the one supplied by Optus less than 1m long

3) Are you connecting over Ethernet "again they ask" or wifi (Who uses Ethernet ?)

4) How can they market something that only perform 65mpbs out of 100mbps in the best of conditions and most the times is 10-15mbps (10/100 % of total performance.)

5) They say copper lines to the building might limit speed. I live in a 60 stories building in the middle of sydney which was built 15 years ago, copper lines can't be that old!!

I wonder what it would be for people living outisde the city with old copper lines that are 30-40 years old! Must be a nightmare if we can't get half the speed here with new copper lines inside the city!

What a national scam! 

and the excuses keep pilling up.

20 Replies
Moderator Aman_B

Re: DONT BUY OPTUS NBN! SO SLOW !

Hi @naik_michel, really sorry for the experience you've had with your NBN speeds, definitely get that this would be frustrating. I can see we've already replied to your other post regarding the NBN speeds. Please keep your posts to one thread so hat we can be fully across. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Contributor naik_michel
Contributor

Speed is getting worst on a 100mbps/40mpbs !

Tonight 10pm in Sydney center city "World Square" zipcode 2000:

MORE PROOF > Speedtests result over time (since december): http://beta.speedtest.net/results?sh=0d7d110f28ec9567d071fc6263b8dc2c

Area is so congested, about time to wake up Optus! 

7mpbs download on a 100mbps line for $140 a month is not acceptable!

Far out you guy have lawsuits coming your way, every 2 message on your forums is about how slow your speeds are compared to advertised speeds!

Mine is not even 10 % speed of the 100mbps advertised for NBN by Optus!

Moderator Aman_B

Definitely get this would be frustrating @naik_michel.  The speeds are certainly not looking good. As mentioned by Jax to your PM we don't have an ETR on upgrades yet. Did you call the call centre number we advised you to call to? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor naik_michel
Contributor

It's getting slower and slower guys on a 100mbps/40mbps connection in zipcode 2000 (Sydney center city World Square)

More proof: http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6134894901

OOkla Speedtest (Same as Optus Speedtest on 100MBPS download connection plan for $140/month:

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 8.33.20 pm.jpg

If you want to see my terrible Optus NBN speed since december here's the Speed tests graphs:

http://beta.speedtest.net/results?sh=0d7d110f28ec9567d071fc6263b8dc2c

0 Kudos
Contributor kpc32
Contributor

You need to make a complaint to the TIO, they know they have a issue but stalling to get it fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor naik_michel
Contributor

Will have my lawyers contact TIO Obudsman: https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

If you guys are having slow speed with optus contact TIO Obudsman on the link above. Optus will get a $10,000 fine per case if they can't fix the problem, which they obviously can't in my case. 

It's getting worst ! Tonight 4mpbs at 9pm in middle of Sydney city  2000) on a 100mpbs/40mbps connection plan!

Full screenshot:

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 9.10.59 pm.jpg

My own tracking on OOKLA SpeedTest (same one Optus uses) 100mbps connection getting 4mbps on friday night at 9pm! :

Speedtest results since december 2016 on 100mbps PLAN: http://beta.speedtest.net/results?sh=0d7d110f28ec9567d071fc6263b8dc2c

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 9.16.36 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 9.18.20 pm.jpg

Optus can you get any slower for a 100mbps connection ?! 4mbps is 20x SLOWER than I should be getting ! sort it out

0 Kudos
Contributor naik_michel
Contributor

It's getting slower guys ! 2mbps on 100mbps download connection ! WOW!

Can OPTUS get any slower ?!

2mbps 10.27PM Sydney City Zipcode 2000 on 100mpbs connection (Their fastest plan!!! for $140+/month) 

What a crooked company and fake advertising 100mbps and getting 2 mbps!!!!  it's terrible !!! Smiley Sad

Optus is owned by SINGTEL, a multi-billion dollar company from Singapore, if they  don't fix this fast....they're gonna crash and burn as 2/3 messages on their forums are about slow speeds !

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi naik_michel, I'm sorry you're having trouble with the internet speeds. Sounds like you've been in touch with Tech Support already. Their line of questioning is necessary to isolate issues. Ethernet is used to test line speeds directly, without possible Wi-Fi  interference. Where we don't advertise a guaranteed speed (services are rated by a max allowed speed), you should certainly be getting much higher than we're seeing there. Unfortunately, there could be several factors affecting your service, and this can only be done by Tech Support testing live. 

0 Kudos
Contributor naik_michel
Contributor

Slowest NBN in Australia?!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors