cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: DNS timeout

Hey @opt-us-out, thanks for sending that PM through - I'll chat with you there. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor opt-us-out
Occasional Contributor

update: intially this started as a DNS timeout thread because i observed on more than one occasion timeouts from the optus DNS servers.  However what i am observing more frequently now is a lack of throughput entirely.  This thread name should be changed to internet dropout.  took a heap of screen shots this morning as the service was once again down when i woke up (on averge i think it is going down 2-3 times a day).  However this time i was able to get onto the router without it automatically rebooting upon an http request.  what changed? port forwarding.  That's the only thing i changed.  Since turning port forwarding off it seems now when the internet drops i can at least http onto the router.  not that it tells me a lot given the crappy logs/diagnostics on it. 

Cable status on the router appears ok.  i released the DHCP address on the wAN and renewed it.  it appeard to take. cable status appeared ok. for all purposes it looked like the WAN was up and functional.

However pings/tracerouts from any pc on my LAN never made it through the router.  So now being able to get onto the router, i performed a diagnostic ping/tracerout using the router function/web interface.  Unfortunatley when doing that it returned a page error! (screen shot available). in short i could not ping/tracerout from the router when this dropout occurs. 

Rebooted router, traffic flowing again.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

not that attempting to ping from the router when its in a down state will help mind you because when pinging from the router when traffic is flowing yeilds no response:

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 64 of data:[Complete]
        Request timed out.
        Request timed out.
        Request timed out.
0/3 replies received.
min time=18 ms, max time=0 ms, avg time=0 ms

that came from the "diagnostics" on the router.  Yet pinging that IP from devices in my lan is returning. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

For the benefit of users reading this post the PM requests from optus support went no where. I provided my details several times and upon the last request of my information (monday 24/10) to which i replied i have not had any further response - it is now the 29/10. 

A new router has arrived and is installed (as of the 26th) .  Internet disruptions appear to have stopped and the service appears to be stable.  No dropouts and no need to reboot the router since the 26th.  internet speed is clocking a full 30mb/s even during so-called peak times.  Would still like confirmation/status/update as to the upgrades/congestion that is occuring in my area.  As yet i have had no further information regarding this from optus apart from the time phone support informed me of the congestion/maintenance.

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@opt-us-out, apologies for the delay in replying. We've received your PM and will respond to you there. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

again after promises to reply to me in PM regarding the congestion upgrades occuring in my area, not a word from optus.  no clarification on this issue, no further information, and no response as to why i was sold a product where this was occuring and yet was not informed about it.

speed on the network this morning is slow in comparison ~ 7Mbit and has a profile where it almost looks like its being shaped, i.e. bursts in the begining but then gets throttled.

good news is the router appears stable....thus far.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Hey opt-us-out, I've responded to your private message.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

For transperency here is what has now occured.  I did recieve a prompt PM replying to my last post on the 31/10.  In fact a reply to that post came 1hr after the post.  However the reply in that PM simply stated what i had already been informed of before and in fact reiterated what i already posted on the 23/10 (refer back for details).

The PM recieved yesterday informed me of the exact same situation.  There is congestion in my area causing slowdowns at peak times (though no information as to what the degredation or why or when those times occur), and that maintenance is scheduled but there is no ETA etc.  No further calrification.  But then i suppose this layer of support only know what they're told...and to their credit they have passed the information on.

Beyond all that, the new router appears to be working much better than the last router.  No dropouts/reboots observed/required so far and port forwarding appears to work without causing instabilities.  so congestion or not i think the initial fault i was experiencing, at this stage, appears to be with the router and not with the congestion. 

However my question to optus is, again, why was I sold a product without being made aware of the situation regarding congestion in my area? I suppose that is something for an accounts manager to answer(?).  Can someone here please point me to the best person who can explain this and/or find the detailed information i deserve regarding this congestion and perhaps some realistic estimate on the time of its resolution? 

Perhaps this thread can be cross referenced to another area?

0 Kudos
Moderator Marie

We're not always able to see if an area is affected by peak time slows until a service is connected and by the sounds of it this may have been what happened in your case. We've raised the issue of peak time slows and getting more info around resolutions with our Senior Leadership team as we would love to be able to provide you with these details however at this stage we're not aware of when some node's/exchanges will be upgraded. We do recommend if the issue is ongoing to contact our team on 1300 555 241 to discuss your account moving forward as a result of these speed issues.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor wallet72
Contributor

I understand the problems predicting congestion, but what are the options available to a customer that has ongoing issues with this? Is the only option to cancel the service? Is there an option for a rebate for congestion? 

Please don't tell me to call someone, or it's a 'case by case' thing - this is a discussion and I'm sure this is information that other customers would be interested in.

0 Kudos