cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor opt-us-out
Occasional Contributor

DNS timeout

regularly my ability to browse ceases.  I still have internet traffic however.  Therefore i perfomred some DNS queries and sure enough DNS timeout occur from the Optus DNS servers, but not from say the google public servers (i.e. 8.8.8.8).  If i reboot my router (in fact when this occurs all i have to do is attempt to browse to the router webpage and the router reboots itself - bug big time!!!!) then DNS queries to the Optus DNS servers come back.  If i were to hazard a guess i would think the DHCP lease on my WAN ip comes with an authentication ticket to the optus DNS servers and this is timing out perhaps(?).  Eitherway the situation is not acceptable as i shouldn't have to periodically reboot the router to obtain DNS and i shouldn't have to manually set DNS settings to public DNS servers on all my devices. 

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: DNS timeout

Hey @opt-us-out, thanks for coming through and letting us know. So when you're using Google DNS - you're able to browse with no interruption? As soon as you revert to our DNS - you're receiving time out errors? Has this issue been raised with our technical team at all  → 131344. Has the possibility of modem replacement been discussed with you? 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor TalentedFool74
New Contributor

I've had the same issue - for about a week,

It normally starts in the early evening and stops around 11pm but this weekend - all day Saturday I've had DNS issues, then I have no internet.  Yet according to the modem everything is fine  - go figure

I've restarted the modem various times and sometimes it works, othertimes not.  I've switched some of my devices to use Googles public DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) but even then sometimes that doesn't work.  Tried to call tech support earlier but the wait time was way too high.

Can anybody confirm if there's any issues on the network?  With DNS resolution?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Nothing that I'm aware of around DNS resolution, but if you can have a chat with our tech team, we'll be able to confirm this and raise the issue with our case management team for further investigation.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I can now also confirm that sometiems DNS timeouts are the only problem, and sometimes ALL traffic stops and a traceroute won't even get pass the router!  Reboots for either scenario always seem to fix it however.  Can also confirm that in either case (DNS timeouts or complete packet loss for all traffic type) surfing to the webpage of the router will reboot the router! what kind of security flaw is that!

I spoke with tech-support on the phone who informed me that maintenance/upgrade work was occuring in my area (the details were not clear though - router firmware updates were mentioned) and that if i passed my mobile phone number on, then i would get messages when the maint was finished etc. 

Since i am a new customer i suppose it is reasonable to have been left of a txt message of the upgrades commencing.  The website for network status however shows me nothing is occuring in my area, but that might only register area wide system faults and not maintenance.  Upon sign up i was not informed of any maintenance occuring in my area.  None of this is a resolution to the problem, just additional information to consider for other people who may be experiencing similar issues.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @opt-us-out, were you provided with a fault reference number we can take a look at for you?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Hannah - no. no reference fault number.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Okay, no worries. Can you please PM me with your home address, full name and DOB so I can take a look into this for you?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Further updates:  spoken to techsupport twice in the last two days.  Yesterday i was informed there was a technical issue in my area and a SMS would be sent once it had been resolved.  Today i again informed phone support about the continual router dropout/rebooting problem.  [Recap: when the internet service drops, browsing to the router via http causes the router to reboot, after which the internet connection is then up.  I am having to peform this "reboot" i.e. utilise this bug in the router to reboot it roughly two or three times a day.]

The person on phone support today also reiterated that there was "on going maintenance" occuring in my area due to "congestion" which was causing slow connections / dropouts.  There was no ETA as wo when it would be resolved.  Personally i don't see the correlation between the WAN interface dropping and the router rebooting when attempting to browse to it in order to check the WAN interface! After relaying this information phone support then ordered a new router due to arrive in 5-7 business days.

So far i guess the customer service has been ok.  I think everyone is doing what they can in both informing me of the situation and attempting to resolve the situation.  However i am still completely unclear as to why i was sold a service with known congestion and ongoing maintenance.  I was in no way, what so ever, infomed that such maintenance was occuring in my area prior to sign up.  If i had known all this prior to signing up i would have considered my options. 

PS i have sent the PMs as requested. 

0 Kudos
Contributor wallet72
Contributor

IS there any reason that we would have to use the Optus DNS? I hard code my xbox DNS to the Google one and I have't had any issues.

0 Kudos